*Terms and conditions apply

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JonnyMX, Jun 25, 2010.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hi all.

It's been a bit quiet - I guess you're all watching the football or tennis, or enjoying the sun.
    Oh, hang on, it's an IT forum, isn't it.

You're all playing with your new iPhones, aren't you?
    Or reading the blogs and reviews of people who did get one if you didn't.

Anyways,

I was watching the TV last night and saw an advert for the new Panasonic 3D TV.
    The advert showed the TV playing Avatar by means of an example of how great it looked.
    Of course, any 3D effect was lost on us watching it as we were on our poor 2D TVs. It's as effective as running a Cray emulator on a ZX spectrum.

But then, a little disclaimer popped up at the bottom of the screen warning 'Avatar is currently NOT available in 3D format'.

Yay. So they picked a film that wasn't 3D to demonstrate to use the effect of a 3D TV that we couldn't appreciate anyway. A bit like opening a restaurant where none of the food is edible, but it doesn't matter because customers are only allowed to look at it through a pane of glass, drooling.

So I decided from now on, when looking at any kind of advert, to only read the disclaimers.

Long gone are the days when people chuckled about the warnings on packets of peanuts saying 'may contain nuts' or a child's superman outfit saying 'does not enable wearer to fly'.

No. We have reached another level of stupidity here.

* Eye makeup - lots of close ups of beatiful eyes with the rider 'model seen wearing false eyelashes'. You may as well advertise a slimming product and say 'model shown using false body'.

* Shampoo - loads of statistics about how much more bounce and shine you get 'when compared to unwashed hair'. Washing your hear in petrol probably gives it more bounce and shine than not washing it at all.

It's now my mission in life, until I get bored, to share these with the world - well with you anyway - and if anyone else cares to help me, more the merrier.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Cow & Gate are advertising a product with extra iron in for babies making a comparison to the amount of normal milk they'd have to drink to get their daily intake while proclaiming in the disclaimer:

*cow's milk is not a good source of iron.

Oh, and theres a hair product one with Cheryl Cole in which shes apparently wearing hair extensions according to the disclaimer....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hey dont forget Diet chef

For £50 a week you get some ****ty microwave meal, some soup and plastic chicken with plastic vegetables all delivered by post i.e its been pissed on spat on before you get it :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Is that one of those miracle products that helps you lose weight?*

*as part of a calorie controlled diet and exercise regimen.

5. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  6. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I dont know if this is a new thing or i have just noticed it, but when an advert states a statistic like 9 out of 10 women prefer it :lol:, they now state how many people were asked, and its usally a stupid number like 75 or 54, rather than out of 10 or 100. I thought it must be a new rule in advertising.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep in 4 weeks and all that crap.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Umm... actually... I've been watching football. Count me as one of the Americans who is just now becoming interested in "the other football".

And I couldn't care less about the iPhone. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Dude, I couldn't care less about either - which is why I'm looking for things to do...

:biggrin

10. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Yeah it has been quiet around here lately and possibly, dare I say the threads haven't been the most interesting lately? Oh well I've said it now!

I've got a yard of ale cup thingy from Spring Break 2005 Senor Frogs Cancun that has a disclaimer: Warning consuming yards of ale may make people appear more attractive than they actually are ha ha made me laugh. I found it in a suit case today because I fly off to Turkey tomorrow 8)

Games are the best, you see some awesome cut scene then it says "Not actual game play" only to find the video (I can't remember the proper name for them) is great and the game itself is makes you want to log onto www . load of rubbish . com forward slash my wrists!

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs