Tempted to exaggerate my skills to an agency...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Alex399, Nov 17, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

noooo, no, no, no. Don't do that. That's the surefire way to let an experienced interviewer figure out that you're trying to impress them with a buncha keywords and phrases. If you told me that, my BS meter would light up and I'd start questioning you, ultimately determining the truth.

No, mate. If you're experienced with Windows, just say you're experienced with Windows, and leave it at that.

Unless you're truly experienced with that sort of thing, I'd avoid mentioning it. And again, don't just throw out buzzwords in an attempt to impress. It'll backfire, I promise you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Been two days since Ive sent my CV and still no reply... :( I will give it till tommorow then after that I can safetly assume that Ive had no success.

I need to stop getting so excited about such specualtive vacancys as they didn't even have a vacancy advertised on their website. I'm assuming it was a recruitment agent getting the wrong end of the stick with the company and there never was any vacancy there :cry:

I have lots of studying to do anyway before I'm going to feel comfortable in any kind of support role If Im to be completely honest.
    So I think I would have been learning to run before learning how to walk in this case, my eyes just tend to get bigger than my brain when I see a possibility for a better paid Job, Logic and Reason just goes out the window.

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

3 days??? Mate, I once heard back from a company after 6 weeks - I got the job.

Most of these companies have a closing date on any applications they have, and will not respond at all until after the closing date. They wont even look at the CV's until then in come cases.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. BosonMichael

Holy moly. :blink

Dude, most companies hiring IT techs take forever to begin wading through the pile of CVs... particularly if they're down a staff member (or more) and having to put out fires in their absence. Be patient.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Thats made me feel alot better hearing that :p, I don't know why I assume they get these things done so fast :eek: :biggrin

I'm too used to applying through recruitment agencies and they are always fast to reply and let you know if your suitable/successfull very quickly.

Thats great so its still a maybe, thats uplifted me for the rest of the waiting period :D

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  6. BosonMichael

Well... the recruiter lets you know whether THEY think you're suitable. Most recruiters I've met have absolutely no clue.