Temperature!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 12, 2007.

1. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This is to help the flow of air.

I have to say that many years ago I was involved in work on a then famous machine, where the airflow was critical.

The amount of instrumentation was awesome, just to make sure that temperatures in most of the critical parts wasn't exceeded.

If things are borderline you need to consider carefuly just how the air is flowing.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah, but Harry, the bottom front of his case is totally covered up. If there's a case fan attached to the bottom front, the airflow's gotta be minimal with the case front attached.

Horrible case design, Bruce...

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. hbroomhall

Most cases are designed this way. If you check the front there are large gaps where the air will flow, particularly at the base of the front panel. So don't put this machine on the carpet!

(Actualy - *never* put a PC on the carpet!)

Unless, of course, this is an exception which makes the front fan useless!

Harry.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The black part above the power button has a bit in it that makes me think it will come out as you can grab it but I am cautious to do this in case I snap it, the black part at the bottom has the usb ports and headphone socket so I know this part doesnt come out I just dont understand why there is a place for a fan but with no reason for one

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael

True, but without seeing his case closely, I couldn't make that determination. My mom's case is ENTIRELY closed up in front... AND has a spot for a front-facing fan. Geniuses, I tell ya!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. greenbrucelee

The case is entirley closed at the fron but there are air vents on the underside of the case by the feet, if I installed the fan at the front would it suck up the air from the bottom?

There is only about 2 or 3mm between the desk and the bottom of the case though.:blink

7. BosonMichael

Depends on what side of the fan those vents are on. If the fan is between the vents and the rest of the case, then yes, the air will be drawn in through those vents (subject to the limitation of however much air can flow through those vents). If the vents are on the case side of the fan, then the air will only passively flow into those vents due to the fans pushing air out of the case.

8. greenbrucelee

The vents on the underside are just slightly in front of where the fan would be theres a row of about 5 across and 6 down if you get what I mean, I am just going out now to get a fan for the back and the exhaust fan.

9. hbroomhall

This thread persuaded me to try and check the temperatures on my nice new flashy video card.

I used to have an Radeon 9600, which did all I wanted pretty well, and handled the online game I was playing at the time nicely.

More recently I changed game, and the card was still OK.

However, a few weeks ago the game was extended, and some of the new areas gave very poor frame rate! So I checked what was available and bought a new Radeon X1950PRO AGP card.

The frame rate improved markedly!

Switching on the temperature monitoring applet I have shows that when in the game the GPU can get up to 60ºC, and the enviroment sensor said 51ºC while the fan was at 41%.

As the only case fan is in the PSU I think I'll add another at the back.

Harry.

10. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  11. greenbrucelee

I bet it sounded like a rocket was taking off:D

Anyhow I havent installed the fans yet unfortunatley due to working nights my working week consists of get up, have breakfast, walk the dog, goto work, come back, goto sleep.

Untill Friday where I'm off untill Tuesday.(12 hour shifts X 3)

Thing is i'm going onto rotating shifts shortly which will suck.:twisted:

I could have done it today but the bloody window cleaner knocked the sky dish out of sync so it took a while to get it sorted then I had to go to work.

I will put the fans in when I get up tommorow and see what difference there is.

12. greenbrucelee

Just to let anyone know who interested my card is now running at 10 - 20 dgrees lower than it was.

Its running from 42 - 52 degrees when Idle
    and upto 67 degrees on a game (oblivion) running at full screen, high quality mode

13. BosonMichael

With new case fans? or a new GPU cooler? or both?

14. greenbrucelee

Just with the case fans, so I wonder what it will be when I put the exhaust fan on:blink

15. BosonMichael

See what a little airflow will do for you? :) Congrats!

16. greenbrucelee

Cheers for the info BM, BTW is it possible to buy new sides for cases instead of having to migrate to a better case? Because if it was I would buy one with more air vents in.

Have you ever heard of this?

17. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Drill bit?:biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  18. BosonMichael

Or Dremel tool, yup! Both are excellent ways to add new air vents (and cool designs) to your case.

That said, "more" isn't always "better". Keep in mind that every pathway you open up is not only a way for air to get into your case... but also for air to accidentally flow OUT of your case. You can actually worsen overall airflow by opening up a vent. If cooler air is flowing out your newly created side hole rather than over your GPU and CPU, you could make your temp problems worse.

You might be able to test this for yourself. Test your temp with everything all closed up. Then, open your side panel and run for a while like that... then test your temp. See if the temp rises or falls. In some cases, the temperature can actually rise with the side open! This happens because air isn't being sucked through your relatively narrow case... it's just swirling all around.

You can buy new side panels for some cases. I know you can do that with Antec cases and similarly designed models.

19. greenbrucelee

I was looking at the website for my case manufacturer looks abit cheap to be honest, cant see anything about spare panels.

Will try the test you suggested and see what happens