Temp IT Positions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Professor-Falken, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I took a job that is for one day installing POS(Point Of Sale) systems. The main reason I took this position was to get some IT experience.Even though my goal is to work as a PC technician repairing computers do you think it was a good idea to take this position? It is not a helpdesk or PC technician position.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Sure why not, maybe they will offer you more work in future. (See temp to perm below...)

Modern POS equipment is virtually identical to desktop systems anyway so there should be alot of overlap.

I'm not sure if its a temping agency but if it is...

I'd just be careful and know your rights and be careful what you sign if you are going through a mass market agency. They have been known to employ some very dubious tactics.

I'd try to avoid temp to perm charges and restrictions. If necessary cross the section out and initial this but don't draw attention to this, make sure you have your own copy too, or consider not signing at all if you can avoid it.
    Dodgy cheque cashing schemes or other unwaranted deductions.

You will have virtually none of the benefits in law of a full time position, sick pay, redundancy etc.
    Obviously you won't get the optional things people often look for in a job like training, pension and bonuses etc.
    Training and career progression should be particularly important to someone starting out, any company using an ageny like this for a large proportion of its staff really does not give a stuff about them.
    Expect that the agency will be charging you out at at least 50% more than they pay you.

Generally I'd advise avoiding like the plague these kind of places, if you can get anything at all better I would. Sometimes they are providing a useful service for someone on maternity leave etc, more often its exploitative labour at knock down rates with no benefits or security. Sometimes if you are lucky and you might get one or two days in a really interesting job which is good, trouble is it will give you an experience but not really anything for your CV or career progression.
    In fact if it were me I might consider taking a reasonable non IT job and doing a HNC with evening classes, or something like that.

This was a recent bit of government legislation designed to give temp workers more rights, most agencies will try to get you to opt out...
    http://www.personneltoday.com/Artic...ment-agencies-and-businesses-regulations.html

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Any experience is good experience, when you were install the POS if you were asked any questions then you can say you've advised or helped people understand something this is a skill of a hepdesk technician.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That sounds great dude. Its definitely a plus on your end since you are gaining experience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

everyones gotta start some where and any experience you can get is vital in the IT industry.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Sounds like good networking experience to me, which is a big part of IT. Why not look deeper into it and learn about the protocols use in these networks and how the payment clearing process works. :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some experience to add to your CV, can only be a *good* thing. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

In fact if it were me I might consider taking a reasonable non IT job and doing a HNC with evening classes, or something like that.

What do you mean doing a HNC with evening classes?

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

HNC is a UK certificate system, and not specificaly computer related. As I believe you are in the USA it is no surprise that you haven't heard of it!

It might be an idea to update your profile to show the country at least!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

HNC stands for Higher National Certificate, it's roughtly equivalent to approx 1/3 of a BSc,and normally taken up in the evenings over a 2 year period. Just like a diploma or degree there are various subjects you can study, like Computing for example (what I did).

There is also the HND (Higher National Diploma), equivalent to about 2/3's of the degree, this is normally taken over 2 years full time or 3 years part-time.

Other differences (UK to US) would also include, but not limited to:

UK - Foundation degrees: Fd A., Fd Mus., Fd Ed., Fd Eng., Fd Mus., Fd Sc., FdTech
    US - Associate's degrees: AA, ABS, AS, AAS, AFA, AES, AGS, AAT, AOS

UK - BSc
    US - BS

UK - MSc
    US - MS

For more info, see here.

Getting back to the thread, installing POS systems also fails into the installations IT technicians role, so it's good experience :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security