Telnetting without SecureCRT, hyperterminal or putty

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Mar 22, 2011.

1. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

I did not mean to offend you and if I did I apologise, but I was pointing out that it is probably you (thedrama)on the other forum and that would mean you are not stealing anyone else’s threads, just duplicating your own. There is not an issue posting on other sites, and I have no problem with you at all, I actually have tried to help you before in regards to another post were you posted a link to your packet tracer file. But when I looked at it you had already resolved it and ignored my response to you. As I said I have no issue with you or anyone else on this forum, I am here to help and be helped the same as you.
    I actually think some of your posts are very good....

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

For anybody coming here from a searxch engine who wants to know the answer to this question (despite the obvious trolling), SSH is more secure than Telnet. There are various reasons for this (and there are differences in SSHv1 and SSHv2 which render SSHv1 almost as insecure as Telnet) but that's the primary reason a company would insist on using SSH over Telnet.

Now that the question posed been answered, how about just locking this thread and moving on?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

You never get my words correctly. Once as i said, the issue was not difference between SSH and telnet.
    What i am wondering was whether to run these applications or command prompt in order to telnet.

You complaint that i won't listen to you but most of the time, you would be the one who are not willing to
    see my words correctly

Certifications: CCNA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm lost now.

I thought that was exactly what you asked.
    Maybe you need to rephrase the question.

And it's one thing not to listen to people's answers, but telling them off for trying to help you is something else...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. TheITCrowd

SecureCRT has alot more options, If you were using CMD for various locations you would have to keep flicking between each window, were as with Securecrt you can just keep opening a new TAB. Also you can write scripts to use and have lots of shortcuts for your config commands. SecureCRT is so coooooooool and less time consuming

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Can we have a 1 thread per week limit imposed for certain people please. What we up to today, about 10?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

You mean everything is in one place?

8. TheITCrowd

Yes, All in the same window.

Attached Files:

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Just wanted to say that I absolutely agree with this post.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Get back on topic or get off.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

:blink

:salut

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Have I not posted in this thread already?

Oh right. My posts get deleted but Kobem is allowed to spam the **** out of forums.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  13. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Kobem,

The most likely reason they required you to ssh to the 7609, and from there to telnet to the 877's is to control access to the 877's. Presumably they have the 877's configured to only accept telnet from the 7609 and perhaps a few other devices. That way they can control access to the 877's. Restricting access this way can be useful for logging access, employee changes, etc. Allowing direct telnet from the tech desktops makes all those things more difficult.

Spice_Weasel

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
    WIP: CCIE
  14. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

A quite useful explanation that is. And this yielded a reputation in exchange.