Telnetting without SecureCRT, hyperterminal or putty

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Mar 22, 2011.

1. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I had worked for 2 months in a big company as a network and security service technician after a few weeks
    from CCNA certification. Thing we had performed primarily was troubleshooting the network devices located at customers of the company under Wireless Internet service. Basically, about Cisco 877 modems and WAPs connected to it. However, these WAPs were managed remotely by WLAN controllers in a centralized
    way. These WLAN controllers also bound to WCS. I mean, WAPs were running in LWAP mode not the autonomous
    one.

In that company, task was handled across SecureCRT using SSH. By the way of being connected to Cisco
    7609 Routers first. After establishing the connection with them, what we were doing was reaching DSL modems
    of the customers via telnet just typing IP address of the remote modem.

My question related to all above is that learning why we didn't use command window(cmd), instead using SecureCRT? (The only reason for this is the number of simultaneous sessions? )

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    Certifications: CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

maybe thats how the company wants it to be, why didn't you ask the manager?

But then again why am I responding to you if you will not listen to anything anyone says?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I tried and removed the battery, however, laptop shut itself down again. Are you happy now?

4. greenbrucelee

thats a different thread, how about responding to the people who have tried to help you on that thread. BTW have you cleaned dust out of the laptop or tried with one dimm installed then swapped over? random shutdowns are usually caused by damaged ram, overheating and with laptops knackered batteried.

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The answer to this question can probably be found in the primary difference between Telnet and SSH. This information is contained within Network+ and CCNA training materials. When you know the answer to that, you will know the likely answer to why management wanted you guys to use SecureCRT.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Well, i didn't ask the difference between these two. I know about telnet and ssh. While trying to telnet to a remote destination, couldn't we use cmd for it? The reason for it was number of sessions established simultaneously also ease of usage ?

7. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Its not effect of the dust as far as i see. But, i didn't touch RAM slots

8. greenbrucelee

doesnt matter if did or didn't touch the ram it can still stop working. Now this is the last time I am ever going to advise you Kobem because you will not listen to the good advice of the people on this forum and people are getting upset with the fact that you do not listen and if you keep on the way you are you may not get any help from others.

9. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

$5 says you fail.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  10. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

You recommended me to go back basics, i did somehow.
    you wanted it for other things, i did.

[So, how do you think i do not and won't listen to you?]

However, how am i supposed to carry out all things from all distinct people here?

11. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  12. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

The reason I asked you whether you know the difference between those two is because that's usually why companies will ask you to use an SSH client instead of a Windows command prompt (which doesn't support SSH).

Surely you know the answer as to whether you can use a command prompt to Telnet to a remote destination. If you don't know the answer, why don't you try it and see for yourself?

As far as why your employer wanted you to use SecureCRT to Telnet instead of a command prompt, you'd have to ask them. You can establish multiple Telnet sessions with multiple command prompts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Thank you mate. :p Command prompt doesn't have SSH feature but my question was related to whether command
    prompt or the terminal emulation programs for telnet. Console connection for the first
    configuration of the device would probably be another reason.

15. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  16. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Me thinks he has a very,very strange stalker, or the user "thedrama" is him, as if you look at that guys threads they are all the same as Kobems

http://www.techexams.net/forums/search.php?searchid=611117

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  17. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  18. greenbrucelee

Not sure if it is him some the content of his posts are way beyond the guy on here.

19. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Back on topic please.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  20. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

Hey guy, what you did is such an insult which never be forgiven. Why? Cos without searching the truth
    you are just blaming me for the subject.

What's truth is that im thedrama and these threads all belong to me.:x