Telnet/SSH

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Crazydave1990, May 29, 2013.

1. Crazydave1990

Crazydave1990 Bit Poster

Yo guys, can I just asking - merely to clarify

If I had two offices on the opposing sides of a country, east and west America for example - If I was based in the eastern office, and the western office needed to have some changes - in order for me to access that router in the western office, would I telnet into the public IP of that office, and then, telnet internally (via private ips) once I'm inside?

or would I telnet directly into that router, using an access list attached to a default gateway? could someone help me understand this please

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well it depends on the infrastructure, you may be able to access the site directly by its internal IP from your company network without going out onto the internet, you may use a VPN to access an internal IP by first creating a tunnel or you may access a public IP over the internet and login.

Once you have an SSH session on that box it is as if you were actually logged in locally, so you can access the network resources that box can access.

You can even create a sort of basic 'tunnel' using SSH.

The default gateway is the place packets that do not belong to this subnet are sent.

Access lists are normally related to firewall rules.

Not sure I get your last point.

Last edited: May 29, 2013