Tell me about your network

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NoCompanyIT, Aug 5, 2009.

1. NoCompanyIT

NoCompanyIT Nibble Poster

Ok out of interest for those that support networks at work.

1. What server OS?
    2. What desktops?
    3. How many users?
    4. Backup type and procedure .e.g tape or RAID or online off site backup etc, what RAID type?
    5. Do you use Active Directory and Exchange?
    6. Do you use virtualization? type 1 or 2? what vendor?

Certifications: Bsc (1st)
  2. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

1. Win 2000, Win 2003, ESX
    2. 2000/XP
    3. 200 ish
    4. RAID for the data drives, back up server online synced twice daily, daily backup to tape and replication to an off site server
    5.Yes
    6.Yes hosted on a ESX server.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Dude, are you trying to get into IT, or are you doing a research paper? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

1. What server OS? Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 running a mix of SBS, Standard & Enterprise Edition.
    2. What desktops? Windows 98, XP, Vista & 7.
    3. How many users? 40,000 plus
    4. Backup type and procedure .e.g tape or RAID or online off site backup etc, what RAID type? Online offsite, tapes, raid.
    5. Do you use Active Directory and Exchange? Use it far to much.
    6. Do you use virtualization? type 1 or 2? what vendor? VMwaer ESX.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

1 - 2003/2008
    2 - XP/Vista/Win7
    3 - 300-odd
    4 - SAN-level snapshots & replication, Physical servers mirrored O/S - RAID 5 data, File-level to tape & DR rep to co-lo facility
    5 - Yes and Yes
    6 - ESX, VirtualCenter & EqualLogic SAN in our main datacentre, mix of ESXi/VMWare server in the colo & satellite offices

I guess you decided to create a 'poll' of sorts in the end :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. MLP

MLP Kilobyte Poster

1. Server 2003 and Mac OS 10.5 Server
    2. Windows XP, Mac OS 10.5 - approx. 1000
    3. Approx. 1500
    4. Symantec Backup Exec to a RAID 5 Nas box, and some to tape
    5. AD Yes, Exchange - No
    6. Not yet

Certifications: HND Computing
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Windows 2003 (inc R2) and Windows 2008 (and R2 when that get's released)

XP, Vista & Windows 7. Approx 550 PC's & laptops, with about another 100 coming in this summer. At main site (we also support 2 other organsations, not included here)

Approx 1400 at our organisation (we also support 2 other organsations, not included here)

Raid 5 in servers, servers back up to backup server, which then backs up to tape.

Yes on both counts: AD currently forest/domain at 2003, will be 2008 once our new modular server comes in. Exchange 2k3, will be migrated to 2010 when released.

Yes, Microsoft Windows 2008 Hyper-V.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

1. Win 2003, ESX 3.5
    2. XP
    3. 60
    4. RAID for the data drives, backup to tape nightly, SAN Snapshots during the day
    5.Yes)
    6. ESX 3.5 with iSCSI SAN (SANi/Q)

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

ummm, It is just me being paranoid (especially after all this security studying) but this post has to come under "social engineering" attack!!
    Next he'll be asking for our subnet address scopes and firewall configs lol..
    :oops:

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Ok out of interest for those that support networks at work.

1. What server OS?: 2008, 2003, Linux
    2. What desktops? Windows 7, Vista
    3. How many users? 1300
    4. Backup type and procedure .e.g tape or RAID or online off site backup etc, what RAID type?Backup Exec, Exec Recovery, External Hard Drives, Windows system state backups
    5. Do you use Active Directory and Exchange? Yes and YEs
    6. Do you use virtualization? type 1 or 2? what vendor?Nope

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Hehe glad I'm not the only paranoid around here. I take marketing calls a couple of times a week from people who seem to think its their business to know my network infrastructure and I'm always very clear in my response :p

Sorry, the only way you find out what we're running is to work here :biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. NoCompanyIT

lol paranoia.

I thought ESX was very expensive and yet some companies on here use it with not that many users. I have never used it myself or ESXi but I tried out XenServer 5.5 at home and it looks awesome the things you can do with it, especially in regards to live migration keeping the server going while moving the OS to another physical hardware so you can replace components.

I also thought SAN was super expensive.

Seems that open source is not used at all then. I think RedHat is the main vendor since they have support.

13. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

As far as I'm aware Infrastructure 3 is the big money offering, ESX is a lot less painful proposition. And there is always the potential with VMWare that they'll stop charging for whatever your using at some random time in the future!

14. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

Including licensing our esx server cost around £11K. Currently we have 11 production servers running on it, so that works out at £1K per server which is very acceptable. Current Utilization of this is about 60% - 70% so we still have room in there for more!

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  15. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You're missing the point of ESX if you think its expensive. The ROI on using VI3 (or VSphere when it becomes widely adopted) is unbelievable. Yes there can be a significant initial outlay - but all the money you save on not renewing hardware maintenance alone means it pays for itself within about 18 months - and that's without the flexibility it gives you, the almost complete elimination of downtime, savings on your floorspace, rack costs, power, staffing... etc etc

For the SME upwards, VI really is an absolute no-brainer. At the lower end of the scale, I can see the argument for not bothering with ESX - but even then, VMWare Server and ESXi are absolutely free so anyone doing a hardware refresh would, frankly, be an idiot not to virtualise at that point.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  16. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm not, none of the questions relate to any security implementation that you have, in fact quite alot of businesses actually run the majority of what all of us have listed above.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  17. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

1. What server OS?: 2000, 2003, RHL, SCO and CentOS
    2. What desktops? WinXP, Win7(well only I have Win7 :))
    3. How many users? 110
    4. Backup type and procedure .e.g tape or RAID or online off site backup etc, what RAID type? Aye
    5. Do you use Active Directory and Exchange? Yes and No
    6. Do you use virtualization? type 1 or 2? what vendor?Yes ESXi and sever

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  18. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

1. What server OS? Mix of Server 2000 and 2003. Functional domain level is 2000 native. 2008 coming shortly.
    2. What desktops? 150 desktops, 150 laptops. 95% XPSP2, 5% 2000 SP4
    3. How many users? 300
    4. Backup type and procedure .e.g tape or RAID or online off site backup etc, what RAID type?
    Symantec Backup Exec on all servers. We do a full backup every day. Daily tapes rotate every 6 weeks, monthly tapes kept offsite forever.

Servers have mirrored C:\ drives and Raid 5 data drives.

5. Do you use Active Directory and Exchange? Yes. Exchange 5.5. No joke. Exchange 2007 coming soon.
    6. Do you use virtualization? type 1 or 2? what vendor?Type 2 just used for disaster recovery and testing at the moment. Vmware Esx and sometimes the MS one.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  19. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

alright I'll put my paranoia aside then...

1. What server OS? Windows Server 2000, 2003, 2008 and Sco Unix :sick thankfully the Sco box is finally on its way out and I hardly have to do anything on it anyway.
    2. What desktops? 50, all win xp
    3. How many users? 50
    4. Backup type and procedure .e.g tape or RAID or online off site backup etc, what RAID type? Most of the servers are raid 5 arrays, a couple are running as mirrors.

Daily backup to tape via Veritas Backup Exec (yup, its an old version), 2 week tape cycle, tapes taken offsite once a week.

'Offsite' backup run once a month to a couple of 500GB drives hooked up to a machine in another building for a bit of extra resilience.
    5. Do you use Active Directory and Exchange? Yes and Yes, Exchange 2003.
    6. Do you use virtualization? type 1 or 2? what vendor? Type 1 running on VMWare ESXi, fairly new venture for us but we will be expanding our use in the next 12-18 months.

20. NoCompanyIT

I used Veritas at a charity I volunteered at, I hated it because most of the time there'd be errors that would prevent everything being backed up. Problem is that the errors were written in English, translationed to Chinese, then to Arabic, then Swedish, then back to English so you didn't have a clue what it meant. You'd go to their web site or Microsoft web site and it just never would make sense, there'd be too much info.

The worst site of all is Sun, it has way too much info, like the EU, which is probably meant to make you give up trying to understand and just accept it.