Technical test! Should I ask or not

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ddan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi guys I will be taking a technical test soon in order to prepare for it I have tried asking a member of staff at the company what the test will consist of and they just told me there is nothing to worry about but did not actually tell me anything about it . The skill requirements for the job do not mention anything technical, I am contemplating asking the person who conducted my first interview but I have been told that this might work against me. What are your opinions guys?

2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If you have researched the firm, that should give you a decent enough idea of what to expect.

What level role are you applying for?

Personally, the same place I applied for that I had my first ever telephone interview, that was followed by my first ever (two hour) technical test. I was petrified, but really there wasn't anything that was purposely set out to trip you up and humiliate you.

In short, what they place will be a good catch-all of the knowledge they need from someone to fill the role. For example, for an advanced first or basic second line role, can you add PC x to the domain, can you add a user on to this PC, can you give the user a mailbox on the mail server, and basic so ons and so forths.

I wouldn't ask the firm about what is in the test, as that perhaps shows a lack of confidence / insecurity in your skills. Plus it would give you an unfair edge on anyone else going in blind, which would defeat the object of the test - so if you asked, I wouldn't expect they'd impart anything worthwhile to you. If you're confident about having the skills for the job you've applied for, then it should be if not a doddle, then not a pant-wetting nightmare. Good luck :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Graduate Helpdesk Analyst, and thank you for the advice.

4. Ping

Ping New Member

Totally agree with Arroryn regards researching the company, take time to understand what they do, what services do they provide or what products do they sell.

I know this is a technical test but it really helps to understand the company then it will help you deliver the right technical solution.

I've seen so many people come into an interview unprepared and draw up a networks that don't relate to the role they are applying for.

Good Luck,

P

Certifications: CCNA, CCDA, CCNA Voice
    WIP: CCIP