TechNet Subscription

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Nov 21, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Could someone please explain to me what you get out of a technet subscription? From what i gather you get versions of any MS product to test and evaluate. If so can anyone sign up? What does the cost involve?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I dont think you get *everything*, but I could be wrong. :blink

You generally get all the MS downloads on CD and also BETA versions (ie Vista).

Just been sent ISA 2006! <drools> :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You do get practically everything!

It is designed mainly for the IT Pro to use in dishing out updates or playing with Beta's.

If simply want to play with products then the Action Pack may be a better option.8)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

ok technet vs action pack... costs?

this is what i want to do... im tired of using 180 day trials and i been waiting for weeks for sbs 2003 r2 trial.. if i want to learn something i got the cd's all there eg server, sbs, exchange, isa, sms etc

anyone got a linky?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. madman045

madman045 Kilobyte Poster

You might find the action pack is not much use now, we recently had our entire action pack folder replaced by MS, however now they only seem to supply SBS 2003 R2 and not standard server and now the office applications come on three cds instead of a cd per application...

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, PRINCE2 Foundation, VCA-DCV & VCA-DT
    WIP: MCSA 2008, VCP5-DCV, ITIL V3
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Say what? The only reason that nothing new has been supplied recently in the Action Pack is because... nothing new has been released recently (except the aforementioned ISA 2006). You get normal Windows Server 2003 with the Action Pack, and you'll get Longhorn with the Action Pack when it's released. Office 2007 will be available when it's released, Vista will be available when it's released, etc.

I honestly don't know what the difference is between the Action Pack and TechNet. I know you have to be an IT professional to take advantage of either, and I know that neither can be used for actual business purposes (for example, you can install Server 2003 for a company Intranet, but you can't use it to host a publicly available Web server that you host your business on).

I've had an Action Pack subscription for the past 3 or 4 years. At one point, I think TechNet was more expensive, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore - check prices for your country to be sure. In the US, I think the Action Pack is $400 the first year and $300 every year thereafter. Updates come quarterly. I'd recommend it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My vote - action pack!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

My vote is with the Action Pack (or 'Partner Subscription' or whatever MS are calling it this month) as well.

It is the single most invaluable resource I have. My entire lab is built using it and I find the licensing agreement to be extremely agreeable. Basically, provided you don't use the software in a production environment, or resell it, there is no time limit on the software. Of course, if you let your subscription lapse, you have to uninstall it - which keeps you coming back for more when the renewal fee is up - but 200-odd quid for what amounts to about 25 grand's worth of software can't be bad!

No wonder MS seemingly go to great lengths not to publicise it!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

As far as I know you can't get the full version of SBS through technet.

At least I couldn't get hold of it when I tried. 8)

11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I vote for *the Actionpack* 8)

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I think TechNet is more of a 'community' thing. There are forums, magazines, webcasts, white papers etc. I get the impression that it's more about active participation and MS can use it as a kind of sounding board.
    If it's anything like MSDN, then it's a LOT more expensive than an action pack and really only an option for IT professionals where the company will pay for it.

Action pack is for those individuals who prefer their own company and have 6 PCs in their bedroom...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I'm a Technet Plus Direct subscriber.

Basically this means I can download almost every product Microsoft has and use it for training or evaluation purposes. It also gives you access to various community resources such as newsgroups and forums.

I subscribed so I could train on their entire product range without waiting for 180-day evaluations to be released.

It's good value for money! I contract through my own limited company so this came out of my own pocket, but it only cost &#163;283 for the first year and &#163;170 thereafter.

The only possible problem I might have is with some training videos I want to create. I'm not sure where I would stand from a licensing position, I shall have to check.