technet sub worth it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by rockstar6181, Jun 5, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well i was convinced so have gone and signed up! SimonVMs link to a discount code worked i got around £40 off! was only £199 +vat so good deal. Now looking at the list of downloads, and am lost. I know what the VLk is but whats Windows 7 N? At the moment i'm downloading teh W7 Pro X86 iso, then will be W2K8 server when i can decide which is teh right one. Didnt realise there were so many and am no lost on what one i want to try. Can anyone explain in simple terms all teh versions and thier differences?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

If memory serves me right if it has an N it's the European version without Internet Explorer bundled due to the EU ruling against Microsoft on anti competition laws.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  3. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

N is the european version that has media player removed due to a antitrust ruling. I just use the full version

VLK is volume, you only get VL version of technet trough SA and the likes, basically companies that use volume licensing can subscribe to this.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I believe the N stands for "No IE".

EDIT: Actually, I stand corrected - what he said ^^^. "No Media Player."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. supernova

Also ,,,

K is Korean
    KN is Korean with bits removed again another antitrust ruling

so dont download these unless you speak the lingo :D

6. supernova

no they added a silly browser selection system, so you can download third party browsers, which was via a windows update. Its no media player

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yeah i'd seen that stupid selection screen on a windows 7 pc i recently setup and it still had IE installed by default anyway.

On another technet question, i'm downloading W7 now but all other downloads now say unavailable.. can you only download one at a atime or one a day or something? or does any one think something has gone wrong with my sub?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  8. supernova

Pass not sure i only ever download one at a time anyway, buy i would have thought that the download manager queues them

9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Pain in the ar5e that update...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. supernova

lol...makes WSUS worth while even on small sites :D

11. joey1211

joey1211 New Member

What are the benefits of getting the professional subscription over the standard? Can't see much point for the average user.

12. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

See here for a chart. The standard subscription would suffice for most.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I am thinking about taking out a technet sub but i am not finding all the information I want to confirm before parting with my cash.

If i download an evaluation copy of say windows will it carry on working after the 12 month evaulation license runs out if i renew the sub?

Is there a limit to how much evaluation software you can download?

You get 6 complimentary Microsoft E-Learning courses but which courses can you get are the mcsa mcse courses available?

£134 does seem very cheap if you can get all of the above.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  14. supernova

Yes and no, they will work until you run out of keys or use keys beyond the allowed usage. So you cant keep activating them infinitely, however, if your still a subscriber you can ask for more keys but you will have to explain why you need them.

Also worth noting your not meant to use them for anything other than evaluation, training and testing, that is not using them in a production environment or for kitting out your personal PC for every day usage.

nope, but you shouldn't need to download it all, so may ring alarm bells if you do.

Tends to be based on newer products.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  15. sweetdisorder

sweetdisorder Bit Poster

Okay, after reading this thread I have subscribed to technet with the standard package, which I think will serve my needs, so thank you to everyone for your info on this.

One question, what is the difference between a technet subscription and an action pack? We have the action packs at work (one reason why I haven't needed to get a technet sub), which I understand if you have some partner relationship with MS, so will taking an technet sub allow me to also get some partner relationship as well?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: 70-620 70-290
  16. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Don’t think so mate, as said that is what the partner programme\Action Pack is for.

Technet is definitely the right choice for you.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. supernova

Action pack is for smaller companies that support or provide solutions to Microsoft products you get so many licences that you can , i believe, use in a production environment. Last time i looked it was roughly office, windows and server for up to ten pc's. You do, however, have to prove your status as a company and do a little test based around providing MS solutions. It is also sales orientated.

Technet gives you the best verity of products to play around with including enterprise products. In fact most companies get technet as well (also technet is available through SA via volume licensing this is how larger companies get it).

There used to be, i dont know if there still is, a free partner program for companies. My businesses used to be signed up to it and there was no real benefit you just get news. To be what I consider to be a real partner is a lengthy points based process where your company is evaluated through the work you do for your customers and solutions you provide.

Summary Technet is the best solution for techs

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010