tea and keyboards...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Angus, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

apparently they dont mix..I poured tea all over my laptop today which made it go all funny (not in a funny ha ha way) :oops: . after drying it off it still never worked so last resort was to stick it in the sink with hot water.

I dried it with a paint stripper gun cos I dont have a hair drier which has worked a treat. It did melt the SysRq button a wee bit, but who uses that anyway.

Anyway, just a note to tell all you can wash stuff in the sink as well as dishes and stripper guns are ok as long as you keep it a good distance awayfrom meltables.. :D :D :D :D :D

Certifications: A+ , MCP
  2. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

LOL you learn something every day :) I wouldn't have thought of sticking it under the tap would have gone straight to new keyboard time.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  3. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

I once had a customer who once spilt a "Cup-a-soup" over a keyboard. We took the keyboard back whasjed it in warm soapy water (diced carrot everywhere) and used it for many years on a server! :eek:

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Have to admit, at our work we would have replaced the keyboard with the oldest one we could find (to teach the user a lesson :twisted: ) and the old one placed very carefully in the nearest bin. Haven't got the time for TLC for a keyboard esp as they are so cheap.

Andrew

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I wouldn't like to see you drying your hair, Angus !!! :inc

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok...something I've been puzzling over since this thread began...the tea was spilled all over a laptop keyboard. It's one thing to just mess up a standard keyboard, but when you spill a liquid all over your laptop keyboard, it gets into the whole unit.
    But that wouldn't have been a laptop keyboard. Have I missed something (wouldn't be the first time)?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

On some laptops it's quite easy to flip out and dettach a laptop keyboard, I'd guess that's what Angus did

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  8. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Yeah, I meant that i took out the keyboard straight away after removing the power. I guess aslong as there is no power running through it and it is washed and dried properly it shouldnt short out.

I left it in the sink for 10 mins to make sure all the tea and other ming came out. the keyboard is like new (with a melted button)..

I wouldnt recomend drying your hair with a stripping gun though, gets quite hot !! :D

9. kelton

kelton Nibble Poster

I once spilt a bottle of lemonade over my Spectrum+ while playing a game. I didnt switch it on for 4 weeks fearing it would blow up.

When I did switch it on nothing happened... started up fine. Keyboard was a bit sticky but that was it :)

:onthePC

10. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Having dabbled in electronics in the past I can quite Clearly state that if you do spill liquid of any kind (acid excluded) on anything electrical, if you are quick enough to remove power to the appliance and you leave it long enough to dry out COMPLETELY, then you will have no problems, I once bought a hugh box full of car stereos from a Police auction, most of them were caked in mud (I presume they were stashed somewhere or thrown onto wast ground during a chase), So i took the covers off them and just ran them under the hot tap to get rid of the mud, left them to dry for a good few weeks under a radiator, turning them occasionally, plugged them in and they worked fine.

Made a canny little profit off that venture too

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I once sneezed cider all over my (rapdily-becoming-infamous)ancient laptop - thought it was truly a gonner :cry:

15 minutes upside down and it was (nearly) right as rain - the odd sticky key, but fine. Mind you, all I get is drunken drivel out of it .... :roll:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. Angus

Angus Nibble Poster

Well all is well with mine still,but going to buy a new laptop cos the control key doesnt work and I only have a 3 gig HD (!). Its so old I casnt find a keyboard or a bigger HD.

Anyone know where to find parts for a Gateway Solo 5100 ? Or any recommendations for a laptop with a DVD-RW ?

I am thinking of a Toshiba or a Sony with about £1500 to spend. Something fairly light too for taking with me on my travels. 8)