Talk Talk Pro

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by twizzle, Jan 8, 2010.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Just had sales rep for Talk Talk come round trying to sell thier broadband. Apprently they have a new package out called Talk Talk Pro. They unbundle the exchange and allow Pro customers max speed and priority connections. Theres a dedicated number for tech support and a new wireless N router. Its and unlimited connection and not throttled (so they say).
    If we get this with the Phone (which we already have, the phone that is) then is stands to save me £10 a month compared to the seperate costs.
    I'm currently with UKOnline for Broadband, and while no casue to complain, have never had to call thier customer support or anything. UKonlines service is fine, but no web space, and contacting them seems very basic (need numbers of web site before i can call them).

Does anyone know if this new Talk Talk deal is worth it? anyone can doa bit of PR for them and say thier a good provider, or are they just the same as all the rest?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

If your local exchange is LLU enabled, then you can benefit from other providers who have equipment in the exchange too. A shiver always goes down my back when i hear certain names and try to stick with people with unblemished record because working as a mobile technician for a while had to tolerate the phone, free laptop, free this, free that type of contracts. With the exception of Sky, who for a fiver gave their customers easynet DSL tend to avoid them.
    Having said all that, I am sure they have thousands of happy customers and more people will be along to give their opinion.
    Keep us posted!

Edit: The other thing to bare in mind with DSL is 1)a lot of the reliability factor depends on the load on the exchange. 2)may be better to use a host for webstuff - it's not part of the contract, so if your website fails, they aren't that bothered - like the e-mail! 3)if you did want things such as reverse dns, static I.P block at a later date, they may not be able to accomodate you.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well they have said its going to be a static IP (which i already have with current isp). I'm about 3km from exchange wired route, so dont expect speeds in excess of 4Mb anyway, but looks like. exchange is due to be upgraded to Gigabit in march so might get some increase then (i doubt it).
    I dont think they provide any thing such as Ip block or reverse DNS, not that i see a need for that anyway.

I dont know any ISP with and unblemished record, can normally find someone who complains about teh ISP your looking at. Thats life.

The biggest down side i can see is that TT ask for a 24 month contract, while my curent isp is a rolling monthly one. I'm also looking at the Talk talk forums to see what others have said about teh service etc.

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

24 month contract. :eek: As for the rest mate - agreed. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Georges

Georges Bit Poster

6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I deal with quite a few customers who have moved from talk talk and went back to BT because of the poor service. Im with be unlimited and ive had no issues with them, and one time i did have a faulty drop wire they sent a SFI to resolve the issue with no problems. Their customer service is excellent also (had 5 calls from them one day during my fault just to update me on progress) and your not tied to contract, unless you get 8meg line. O2 have bought them out and they are doing some excellent deals aswell.

Might be worth shopping around first, or check the talk talk pro forum here to get an idea of what the users think
    http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=71

Mick

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Thanks guys.

Raffaz, i'd already been looking at teh Talk Talk forums and most seem to be satisified, but there are a few who have had issues getting sorted to start with. Seems the Mods there get things sorted quick though.
    I had looked online and seen that the contracts for 18months with free connection, so seems a better deal than thier sales reps tried telling us. However, i have some concerns, one being that it says thier router is not Xbox compatible, which i need, and that they charge you for excessive use of p2p networks. While i dont use p2p that much, it does get used for work some times, and my connection could be used for work during teh day so they might consider it excessive.

We had thier letter today, which implies we're already been connected, though we dont have teh service yet! and it was supposed to be a trial, which teh letter makes no mention of. I also dont liek teh fact that as its an LLU there could be a BT reconncetion fee if we leave Talk Talk (does that apply anyway as we had Talk Talk for teh fone for last 5 years?). Again thier reps never mentioned teh fee.

Think i'll get g/f to ring up today and cancel it all, then maybe re apply at a later date online, if i dont find some one else better, in teh meantime.