taking a computer to bits

Discussion in 'A+' started by Jagunco, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

What's with this post ?? How can CF be accused of being biased towards self-study, and anti-training provider ??

"Save yourself money - buy some books" - yeah, shoot us for that message !!

FFS - can Staff do the neutrality speech please !! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The only reason I recommend self study is that it saves you money.

I was about to sign with a training provider but found this forum first by simply typing compTIA A+ help on google.

My third post was basically asking if the money I was going to spend was a fair amount, the first reply I got said why not buy the books and study on your own without spending all that money. I had never thought of this as I was under the impression I had to go with a company to take the exams.

I later found out that I could book the exams myself at a nearby test centre.

Money wise I have spent £80 on material for the A+ this includes, an old PC, Mike Meyers book, and PC Technician Streets Smarts. Thats a saving of £690 as the training provider was going to charge £770 for the A+ course and that did not include the exams.

The demo of the course that I downloaded was good and well written but it did not justify that sort of money.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First off, training providers often use the books that we create. Thus, we have a buyer for our books whether or not people decide to take training classes.

Second, it is absurd to say that my advice comes to give myself or my employer an advantage, because my employer operates a Cisco training center. That said, we don't push a "7 certifications for $30,000" deal like other training centers do, nor do we make promises of employment.

Finally, when I advise that people use self-study methods, I typically mention books and hands-on experience. I currently have ONE book published, so that advice doesn't help me a great deal. On the other hand, I have DOZENS of practice exam questions on the market. Although I also think taking practice exams is a good reason, I often don't promote them loudly enough specifically because I want to avoid an appearance of impropriety in my advice.

If I simply wanted to make a buck, I'd tell people to certify as much as possible, regardless of their experience. But I don't. Why? It's simply not a good idea for their career to get overcertified. Telling someone to do something I don't believe in would compromise my ethics and integrity, and I'm not willing to do that just to make money.

Thus... your comments are way out of line. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

I was not aiming my comments at you BosonMichael or GBL but the fact that you think I am says a lot. I just notice that everyone on this forum says A+ N+ MCDST and when other people disagree everyone jumps on them saying why they are wrong like Ciscopaul recommends something everyone says he is just trying to sell his business or maybe he is just stating his opinion?

Certifications: A few.
  5. greenbrucelee

He is trying to sell stuff though.

However if someone wants to go with a training provider that is up them, I have learned from reading posts on here that over certification with out relevant experience is detrimental to the employee when going for jobs, there was a post other week on that. The poster said she had MCSE certification but couldn't get a job because she didn't have the relevant experience so what BM said was correct.

I have also said just because someone can score well on MS Flight simulator, your not gonna give them a jumbo to fly are you.

Its the same with certs just because someone has CCNA and no real experience, no company in their right mind is gonna let the person loose on their servers and network.

Training providers will sell you their course for as much money as possible (theres been people on here doing the same cert path with a training provider being charged different money) and wont tell you what proper path you should be taking.

General entry cert path is A+ N+ and MCDST. A+ is normally done first but its not mandatory in what order you do them in.

6. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I write no books. I work for no certifications organizations. I have absolutely nothing to gain by recommending self-study to anyone, other than I think they deserve to hear the truth and I have a responsibility to tell them the truth. I've never even knowingly recommended a book written by someone I know.

There are so many disreputable organizations out there selling people with no experience high level certs that a forum like this needs to be here to combat the flat out lies that are told by salesmen. Far too many people shell out thousands of dollars and get nothing more in return than they would have gotten for a few hundred dollars and avoided the "training" providers. At the same time getting them started at a foundational level is doing them a huge service. They need to understand the basics before they jump to high level studies. If they don't get the basics they will never be sound technicians as they will not understand what is really going on.

So, just how are you going to say I make my recommendations for personal gain????

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  7. Rob1234

That is only one person I know someone in the same position with an MCSE no experience and they got a job so BM was incorrect.

That is not true there is many people who get a job because of the CCNA with no real experience.

Again a very sweeping statement not all training providers will do that some will some won't.

I agree with that.

8. Rob1234

I was not saying you do to be fair I do not read many post from you as they are quite long and tend to be boring, but I have to say I agree with what you just said.

9. BosonMichael

I take offense to your statement not because we do these things, but because you paint the picture with an overly broad brush, catching me and Trip broadly within your brush stroke.

When someone gives an opinion that directly benefits them, and they flagrantly advertise their products in their post, then it becomes more than an opinion - it becomes a sales pitch.

Why do you think we blast training providers that tell prospective students to pay tens of thousands of pounds to get a bunch of certifications so they can start out making 40K per year? Because it's not true - they're simply telling the students that because they make money by spreading the false information.

I tell people what I tell them because it has repeatedly proven to be true. It is quite the exception to the rule to get a CCNA and land a networking job without experience - it's statistically and factually proven to not be the "norm". To say otherwise, and to attempt to make money off that misinformation, is nothing more than shady salesmanship.

The reason people say the same things I say isn't because they're just following my lead... it's because THEY have seen that those statements are true, and state them independently of their own accord. I don't pretend to be important enough or popular enough for people to simply parrot what I'm saying. Truth is truth, and it is usually brought into the light by those who are willing to seek it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. BosonMichael

And I know hundreds of others who have problems doing so. That person is the exception, not the norm.

Get a job because of the CCNA, or get a job? There's a distinction.

Again, someone getting the CCNA and getting a job without experience is the exception, not the rule.

Hey, man, give whatever advice you want to give. I'll give mine as well, putting my experiences in IT and certification training up against yours, and we'll just have to disagree.

11. greenbrucelee

That has to be an exception

Are you sure it was because of CCNA and not because they showed some ability, are they actually doing CISCO related stuff without any commercial experience, I doubt it.

Find me one

12. Rob1234

The one BM works for.

13. Rob1234

Why can your's not be the exception?

When they gave him the job they said it was because of the CCNA it showed he had potential.

14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Okay guys, can we take corners please?

This started off as a good, informative topic from Jagunco about building PCs, and has quickly gone way off its original topic.

If you guys want to discuss training providers and self studying, take it to PMs or another thread.

Threads taking a turn off topic like this does nobody any good, especially when it starts turning into arguing.

Let's get it :offtopic

Jag - have you managed to find any replacement/upgrade parts for your PC yet?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. BosonMichael

Ah, but the TP I work for is a rare exception. I can say with some degree of certainty that DataSchenk in Smyrna, TN is another one of the "good guys". However, the "bad ones" who push high-priced training and fill prospective studens up with dreams of big money in IT by getting tons of certifications are far, far more common.

Arro, I understand the need to get the thread back on topic. But I refuse to let misinformation spread, and I refuse to have some of our members (including me) have our names dragged through the mud.

16. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

All right then the neutrality speech is required.

Cf is and always will be vendor, training provider and OS non-specific. We have dedicated Microsoft members as well as dedicated *nix professionals. Both are very knowledgeable and dedicate a lot of time and energy into the forums.

The staff here come from a wide spectrum of IT professionals, some entering IT quite late in life. I for one, and a number of other (ex)staff used training providers to start out in the certification world.

Yes some of the members have been published, but you will not see them pushing their books. Normally, their publications are mentioned by other members.

No-one is advertising their "wares" on CF. We have very strict rules to maintain our neutrality and anyone who in the eyes of the staff is found spamming the forums will get an infraction awarded and/or banned.

I hope that underpins the situation of the forum and lets get back to topic.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  17. Rob1234

I never dragged your name through the mud I never even mentioned your name! The fact that you think when I mentioned some people on here try to push there own products you imediatley thought of yourself says it all I think.

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Rob
    your still way off topic, and have been asked to leave it out
    if you want to rant about whatever do it in the off topic forum, and I'm sure our members will be happy to tear everyones arguments apart

this thread however was started but an inquisitive member and i doubt he's keen on having it hijacked so vigorously

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  19. Rob1234

Arroryn asked to get back to topic but BM still contiued but you did not mention the above statment to him.

20. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Read AJ's response which applies to everyone. 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009