Take a Break or Power Through

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by Jaron78, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

I'm working through the Python PCEP Cert and to be honest, Im struggling. Ive never done any programming before and despite finishing the A Cloud Guru course and the Edube Course, Im still not getting the marks I need for the exam.

Im thinking of letting the PCEP take a back seat for now and get my Linux Essentials done first. Maybe have a break from Python and then coming back to it will help?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

JK2447 likes this.
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I’d say swerve it mate. You’ve got enough on and if you’re not feeling it. Feeling good about your learning and progress is all that matters I think

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you want to be a fulltime Python programmer maybe finish it, or if you enjoy programming or learning the stuff for PCEP.

If its just an annoying test with little payoff, then yeah skip it.

Programming is not about exams, its about writing programs. The more you write the better you will get in general. I'd be writing lots of programs either as coding kata or as part of a course. The real learning comes when you start real projects, so you write a program to achieve a set object you or someone else has.

Anything in particular you are struggling with?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    Jaron78 and JK2447 like this.
  4. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Thanks Chaps. That's great.
    Its not that I'm not enjoying it, its that nothing seems to be sticking.
    Im still stumped by 2 ** 3 ** 2 for example.

I'm going to power through the course one more time and see if I am making any progress. If Im still finding it really frustrating, Im putting it on the shelf for a couple of months whilst I look at Linux and AWS.

JK2447 likes this.
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

https://treyhunner.com/2018/10/asterisks-in-python-what-they-are-and-how-to-use-them/

** infix operator is exponent or 'x to the power y' on calculator.

2 ** 1 = 2
    2 ** 2 = 2*2 = 4 = '2 Squared'
    2 ** 3 = 2*2*2 = 8 = '2 Cubed'
    2 ** 4 = 2*2*2*2 = 16
    2 ** 5 = 2*2*2*2*2 = 32

Typically its refered to as x to the power y, where x and y are arbitary real numbers.
    x ** y

etc

This is just the basic maths you get at school on a calculator.

Computers started off as powerful calculators or tabulators, and even today you can break out python and just use it as a calculator if thats what you want.

JK2447 likes this.