T1 Internet connection?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by kobem, Mar 13, 2011.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Dude!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well in that case you are not using the T1 connection for dedicated site to site connection (e.g T1 to T1), and therefore you can create a VPN tunnel over the internet to a ADSL\DSL\SDSL\whatever connected site.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The way i understand it is this. A T1 line is just that, it is a dedicated (to you) phone line that you pay for (lease) and is provided by your telecommunications company. It goes from point A to point B. point A would be your office.. point B could be a remote site office or your ISP. if it is a remote site, it has nothing to do with the Internet, hence VPNs etc are irrelevant. If it is connected to your ISP, then VPNs become relevant.

A T1 line is a real private link, not shared by others.

A T1 line is a bunch of 24 64Kb ISDN channels, that provide up to 1.54Mbps.

To communicate across a T1 line you need a device that is able to talk the T1 talk, which is different to Ethernet. Basically, you need a device with a *T1/E1* interface.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, but if going from T1 to DSL then a VPN would be needed.

I *think* thats what Kobem is aiming at. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes, because DSL is an Internet service and is not a private network so, you have to create a private network *virtually*.. VPN.

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

All this talk of T1 and ISDN is making me nostalgic for when I first got ISDN after being on a 56k modem for years. It was emotional finally becoming an LPB (Low Ping Bastard).

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

lol Modey - i remember similar, i was the last of a group of mates to get a decent connection, all those bastards had gone onto 512k cable modem and me running on my 56k for another year - the excitement when i finally got cable was unbearable, i even left school early cos the engineer was installing it at lunch. spent pretty much all day playing CS with my newly acquired 30 ping :D (how sad is that)

I think Bluerinse summed it up well - and from trying to decipher what Kobem was saying, is probably about right

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  8. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

I have read yours. However, let me please tell you the same thing in a different angle.

First ; take the link given by me into consideration.
    Second ; i want to set up VPN from a site(Side A) to another site(Side B) but i do not need how VPN is set up here
    Third ; before VPN is installed, both sides should be provided Internet connection by its own ISP.
    Forth ; Highlighted: i care Internet connection via T1 (link from Side A to the provider)

And the way how different it is from a point-to-point dedicated leased line connection in terms of equipments
    utilised also whether need for extra DSL connection for the T1 equipped router(Side A)

Moreover, the picture on that link exactly tells what im trying to express.

Certifications: CCNA
  9. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

You're complicating things way more than you need to.

If you're already using a VPN between the two sites via DSL, as you've mentioned - why do you even need a T1? The site-to-site picture on that link is exactly right, and the information you're trying to obtain is mentioned on that from as far as i can tell.

The only advantage to having a T1 is using a point to point VPN which'll give you a dedicated speed, because that line is yours, and not put out over the internet. As mentioned if you want to use a T1 - you need to buy the kit for it, which is seperate to DSL, this has been posted previously.

You can probably get a 20mb dsl line for a hell of a lot cheaper than a T1 now adays, which'll only do 1.5mbps - as mentioned before, so i'm not sure of the need for a T1 here?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  10. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Kobem its been pointed out a couple of times what you need to acomplish your goal. Its also been pointed out that it will be slower and more expensive too.

Why do you want to do this?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  11. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

You're totally right. However, as far as i know T1,T3 and other standards are often used to make point-to-point, thats why, the link i have given confused me!

Shortly, main issue is how the router with T1 will connect to Internet.

12. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

It won't - it's one or the other

Either - point to point (i.e Office A to Office B)

Or, Office A -> ISP

But if you want a T1 to connect to the internet, you're gonna be paying hundreds a month for a connection which is probably 20x slower than most offices. which in this case you're better off getting a standard business DSL/cable connection

13. kobem

kobem Megabyte Poster

if it won't, what is the thing the guy trying to express us on that web link?

for point B > getting Internet from ISP via DSL over PoTS (one of the two points established Internet for site-to-site VPN)
    for point A > without DSL, assume you have a router with T1 interface, single CSU/DSU , T1 cable that is supposed to go to ISP. (To complete the picture of site-to-site VPN)

consequently, each site is not directly connected to each other but their ISPs.

14. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

You've just answered your own question right there.

Basically, as Sparky said way back, on the link you posted the guy is saying it doesn't matter what type of Internet connection you have.

As long as both sites have Internet connections then you can set up a site to site VPN tunnel over this using whatever hardware/software takes your fancy.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  15. jem

jem New Member

A T1 line gives you the most reliable high speed internet connection you can get. If your business can not afford to be off line for any length of time then you should seriously consider a T1 line. A T1 Line guarantees bandwidth in both your uplink and downlink directions allowing significant bandwidth for multiple people and multiple applications.
    As you can see, the T1 is the next step up from DSL/Cable but not only do you get twice the bandwidth you get a significant increase in reliability. The T1 provider guarantees a Quality of Service(QoS) through a Service Level Agreement(SLA). This ensures your business will always have the full bandwidth as per the SLA.
    Once you submit your quote request and are happy with the services you will be getting it will take around 25 to 50 days to actually get your T1 install completed. So plan ahead. This time is mainly gated by the local exchange carrier who needs to coordinate the installation.

16. barradam

barradam New Member

Increasingly today Internet access has become the main means of communications for businesses and people around the globe. No matter how large, small, within any industry, and regardless of business model; a company cannot survive without reliable, fast Internet access. Internet T1 Service is a connection providing high speed Internet T1 bandwidth of 1.544Mbps delivered over fiber optic or copper phone lines. Internet T1 are used by businesses to provide reliable, dedicated T1 service for internet access as well as other applications including email, file sharing, web hosting, data backup, video, or VPN access.

17. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster