System Shutdown

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by abpant, Sep 26, 2008.

1. abpant

abpant New Member

My computer will automatically initiates the shutdown after i use 'cmd' in run dialog box. Although i use shutdown -a it will stop temporarily. i want to fix this probelm permanently. screenshot and message appearing is shown below.

System Shutdown
    This system is shutting down.Please save all work in progress and log off.Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was intiated by COMPUTER_NAME\ADMINISTRATOR
    Time before Shutdown: 00:50:00
    [​IMG]

2. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Well, I'm no expert on this ab but I seem to remember an article about this sort of activity being caused by malware.

Do you have any malware checking programmes installed? If so I would suggest that you update and run them. If the ones you use down pick this up, there a couple of online sites you can use to scan your computer. Unfortunately, I can't remember what they're called but some one will post a name soon, hopefully :)

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF, please introduce yourself here :)

Can't see the pic, it's too small. Have you tried a virus/spyware/malware scan with the latest updates? Have you install the latest Windows updates? Have you tried re-installing the latest service pack?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

As Ken has said - we need a larger image to see exactly what the problem is.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

sounds abit like the blaster worm from years gone by, are you opening the cmd prompt from an icon if so whats is its properties. I dont suppose the icon is set to "cmd shutdown -s -t xx" or something is it.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I was thinking the same thing.. what happens if you forget the shortcut and double click *cmd.exe* in the Windows\system32 folder?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, it does sound like the blaster virus.

Browse to the cmd.exe, right click, properties and check there are no switches after the .exe as dales as suggested.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs