System Report Program

Discussion in 'Software' started by kat731, Feb 23, 2005.

1. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi everyone,
    Well, still revising like mad, will post my result soon...........
    Anyway, have done a few jobs lately, all fine. The thing is, take one job last week... PC was in a state, had ME(Rest my case)...........
    Installed their XP after zeroing drive, upgraded drivers, partitioned drive=80Gb! So, I get phone calls, 1st one, "Oh god the mouse wont work" 2nd, "The sounds not working" It transpires that the mouse wasnt plugged in right, the sound cable was plugged into, well, some hole??????????
    Its just when they ring they make it sound like i havent repaired it properly. The lack of basic knowledge somehow undermines all the good work i do, but maybe only to me, as im such a perfectionist..
    Instead of repeating myself like "it was perfect when it left here" (age old engineers saying)LOL... I was just wondering if any of you use a specific system test program which could print out a complete test report, so theres no argument. Maybe Sisoft Sandra-only have basic one, or Norton System Info. Just thought one of you might recommend a good one?
    Thanks all,
    Kat 8)

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  2. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi kat, I often found i had the same problem when I did some work on a customer's machine. So what I do to get around thge problem is 1 of 2 things.

If it is in their home/office, I show them that everything is working, and show them how to plug things in. It takes a few minutes longer, but it save's the headaches in the longrun.

If they come to me, when they arrive, i have the machine set-up so that I can show them that everything is working. I also give them a sheet on how to set it up when they get home. I still get the odd idiot who thinks I've done more damage then good, but I stay calm and talk them throught it, and always get them through it.

I find it really annoying when you get someone that calls 2-3 months later with a seperate problem, trying to blame it on the work I did, just a hazzard of working with the uneducated public i guess.

HTH

ANdy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've had a couple of different jobs where I had to go out to the customer's home and do the repair. Since the machine is all set up, whatever I've had to unplug, I plug back in before I leave.

Before we ding home end users for lack of basic knowledge, remember that most people have the same relationship with their PC as they do with their cars. They just expect it to work without having to understand *how* it works. Heck, a lot of people don't even know how to check their oil level or air pressure in their tires. Why should we expect them to know how to plug in a mouse or a set of speakers? :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+