Sysadmin

Discussion in 'Software' started by twizzle, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For Windows it depends what you will be supporting, could be Exchange Server as well as Active Directory.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Active directory users and computers would give you access to many of the basic functions you'd be carrying out on servers. The active directory sites and services would give you access to your site links to force replication.

You can also use this the above tools to access other servers on your network and check the services of a remote computer.

Lastly, you can also use remote desktop to connect to other servers and administer them. It would really boil down to what is expected of you in the new roles of responsibilities. Best wishes and always look on the bright side:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Sorry mate from my part I didn't want to sound like you couldn't do the job or didn't have the skills. I mean it in a way that if a company turned around to me and said hey your now or go to guy for Linux I would say ehh hang on this isn't what I signed up for especially with no retraining. To be honest it's unfair of them to expect you to change your job overnight so hopefully they won't expect that and will give you headroom to learn on the job. I'm sure you will do well mate.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011