Swollen and leaking capacitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zimbo, Sep 17, 2005.

1. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Phoenix, mate, I have huge respect for your ability and intelligence.
    But from now on you will be the custard donut in my pants.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

in your pants? perhaps you could explain why you have a custard donought in your pants at all
    and why you feel obliged to name it phoenix?
    :D

Zimbo mate
    it depends also on the architecture of the chip, cores have fancy codenames as they undergo revisions, Prescott, Northwood, San Diego, Barton, etc
    some are incompatible with each other, however chances are slim that a board thats socket A and supports DDR 3200 would not support your athlon, as I do believe they moved away from Socket A around that time, and hence wont of had any new socket A revisions

hope that helps

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

That's hilarious, JonnyMX! :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

The capacitors that are physically leaking are known as electrolytic capacitors. Poor quality components can leak over time, the stuff that comes out is the electrolyte and it is very corrosive. The corrosion, if it spreads to other components will cause problems too. Also, the capacitors can leak internally, meaning that they can start to pass DC voltage rather than blocking DC as they are designed to do. If this happens you will experience faults but it is impossible to determine in advance.
    At the moment things may look ugly but from an electronic perspective the capacitors may not be leaking and so you are still able to make good use of the board. Because of the layered structure of computer motherboards, it is not feasible to replace these components, or at least I wouldn't bother to try.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks for the info mate! not going to take a chance with loosing my processor and RAM so ill replace it ASAP! btw how can I be 100% sure my new board will be compatible with my processor and RAM? As well how can i identify my processor without visually checking it? Any programs out there that check system components?

here is the one i have

and here is the one i want to buy

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

a program called belarc advisor is pretty good. it lists all the system components you have and empty card slots on your board. hope that helps you mate! :biggrin

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Had a customer computer with this problem last week. Caused windows to lock up every now and then. Had to replace the board. Took ages to troubleshoot :dry

Neall

WIP: A+