Swollen and leaking capacitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zimbo, Sep 17, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi guys im cleaning up my main pc and i have noticed i have swollen and leaking capacitors on my motherboard! :ohmy :ohmy

what causes this? How can i prevent this? and this is eventually going to destroy the board isnt it?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Without knowing to much on the subject zimbo, I would say that the failure or corrosion of a major component (OK, not maybe major as in CPU, but if it's there, it's for a reason) is going to mean the ulitmate demise of your board :(

These things just go over time, but I find it a little strange that something like a capacitor could fail within the acceptable lifespan of a motherboard.

Arroryn I believe is a bit of an electronics dude - see if she can shed some light.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

well what can i do to prevent this type of thing and is there something i can do to save my board?

4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Part of what I meant to say above is that the components on your board should never do this. Might be worth contacting the manufacturer to see if there's anything they are prepared to do ?

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm with gav, ive got systems here over 8 years old with no problem like that, definatly doesnt seem like it should happen under normal operation of the board
    recommend contactng the manufacturer as well

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

something i seem to have picked up is that epox motherboards did have a problem with swollen and leaking capacitors.. also from the heat in cyprus it doesnt help either!

if i got a screwdriver and took off whats leaking out and maybe got another fan or two in there do you think it could help?

7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

if a custard donought leaked out custard and you wiped it all away would it still be a custard donought?
    Im thinking that the stuff in the capacitor was probably there for a reason, and if its leaked out and your removing it, it doesnt bode well for the usefulness of said capacitor

saying that, more fans would likely be useful :)

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Wow man. That's like really heavy.
    That has got to be the most Zen thing anyone has ever said on this forum.
    I've been thinking about it all day and it's doing my head in.
    So I tried it.
    As a control, I also had a jam donought and I took all the jam out of that too. The result was two identical semi-donoughts that kind of phased in and out of existence.
    So I took pity on them and ate them.
    They both tasted the same!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

LOL jonny you got me in tears over here mate, bloody nice one :)

10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Zimbo,

Knowing a little about electronics I would say that was has happened is to do with the heat inside your case. :(
    We have had some very hot days in the UK and I am sure Cyprus has been that much hotter :eek: .
    As pointed out in the "custard" analogy the fluid that is leaking is used to hold the charge and slowly release it. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say. It looks like you might be needing a new one. :cry:
    Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  11. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thanks boyce... well ill be getting two more fans and i have emailed the company... there was a problem with the boards 3 years ago and they were all recalled (EPOX - so stay away from them) - i phoned the guys who sold the board and it seems now its my problem! :(
    so im going to get a new board soon from the UK but with winter coming here maybe it has a few more months to live now that its cooler.. the PC seems to run okay now so if i take drastic measures now with the fans maybe i could prolong its life a bit more?

12. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Aboslutely ROTFLMAO @ Jonny as well ! Bloody brilliant ! :biggrin

sorry :oops: :offtopic

Zen and custard donoughts - GENIUS !!!!!!

13. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I can't take credit for my simple interpretation.
    The custard came from Phoenix's brain.

Um...

14. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Do they look like the attached image?

We had a batch of systems bought before I started that did this, before catastrophic failure all sorts of annoying symptoms occurred. Intermittent boot failures to lock-ups in Windows. Eventually, the affected PC would refuse to boot at all.

Attached Files:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Location dicates what the capacitor is likely to do
    generally they are only found in two areas, around memory banks and around the cpu, this is a new phenomenon due to increased power requirements of those two components, they insure regulated flow of power to the components, any fault there would result in iregular distribution of power to either the cpu or memory, to be honest, you would be safer just leaving the system off if the capacitors are around either of those components, as poor power flow to them could result in damaging those components themselves, and i take it you may want to make use of them on the new mobo, rather than replacing the whole system :)

16. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

oh Jonny yer just too witty sometimes...nice one m8, once again you made me laugh! :)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You've got to laugh.
    even in IT.

As Homer Simpson would say 'Mmm custard brains'...

18. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

hey i laugh all the time

usually when a user phones up asking for a restore, which we try, before she mentions it was from a file she created this morning, at which point we tell her it cant be done, she calls up an hour later and goes, will you be able to restore it tomorrow morning after the backups have finished?
    i ask you, what DO they learn at uni these days?

i mean, you gotta laugh, i know we did :)

19. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

thats what they look like exactly! :rolleyes:
    so by the sounds of it i better hurry up and replaced the board before it frys my components on it?
    UMM could you guys confirm that if my processor (AMD Athlon XP) is a Socket A and I order another Socket A motherboard that also supports my 3200 RAM I should have no problems with the new board compatability wise?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
  20. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

I did laugh mate...Earlier, I was trying to imagine some bloke in Newport doing that experiment with dohnuts??? Bloody hilarious m8...just thinking about it still makes me laugh! ha ha...:)

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...