Switch refuses to execute commands

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Andrew95, Feb 13, 2011.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sure they did. They're letting people know what software to use to run Cisco's IOS outside of the hardware chassis, which is illegal per Cisco's licensing. And per the Forum Rules and Guidelines, we are prohibited from:

Letting someone know what software they can use to get around Cisco's licensing is, in fact, posting instructions on how to do something illegal.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Bet he's glad he asked now lol :cry:

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Commenting that you are using certain well-known software to do your labbing is a little different to giving instructions and having post after post discussing said software.

Perhaps the admins could clear this up once and for all. Are we allowed to mention GNS3 as a tool for Cisco Learning on certforums (given the clear dis-interest shown by Cisco)?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. BosonMichael

It should be no different from our not being allowed to say that we use <insert name of cracking tool> to get around DRM in software games. People do it, but it's still illegal.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. danielno8

Why should it be no different? I think there is enough evidence to suggest Cisco do not care (almost endorse it through Cisco press) about using GNS3. Whereas there is no evidence to suggest they do care (your email wouldn't count since it is just someone regurgitating what we already knew)

P.S i didn't know you could get around DRM in games, thanks for the instructions

6. BosonMichael

There are plenty of electronic media companies that don't actively pursue those who pirate their stuff... but it's still illegal.

Again, Cisco is not Cisco Press. But maybe you missed that.

My e-mail absolutely would count, since it's the only official word we've gotten from Cisco.

I didn't provide you instructions on how to get around DRM in games, ya doof. I have no idea what software you would use. :rolleyes:

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Guys - this thread has been derailed.

Please take your discussions off-forum by PM.

We all know the "legal" situation and constantly having this "debate" is quite off-putting to a lot of forum members and potential members.

Please take this as an official Moderator request.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  8. danielno8

Nope i didn't miss that (and that is why i said ALMOST endorse it, given Cisco CHOOSE Cisco Press to be their authorised publisher, and said authorised publisher recommends using GNS3). Now if Cisco CHOOSE Cisco Press to be their authorised publisher, clearly Cisco also know about the GNS3 recommendation. If Cisco cared, Cisco would A) ask for the recommendation to use GNS3 to be removed b) no longer make them the authorised publisher.

EDIT: missed your post UKD. Is it possible to have it confirmed it is against forum rules to ever mention GNS3 on here? This way there need not ever be a discussion about it again.

9. BosonMichael

I disagree; I don't think "we all know the legal situation". If we did, then why is nothing done about the constant violation of forum rules regarding this subject?

I agree with Daniel in that I'd like official confirmation as to whether it is a violation of forum rules to actively promote something that violates Cisco licensing.

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. diesel

diesel Bit Poster

According to Cisco's own website, Cisco press is the only authorized provider of Cisco learning materials and their manuals are to be regarded as the official learning resources for Cisco products, if that resource bearing their trademark endorses the use of an emulator then tough titty, they have sanctioned it and their proof readers and legal department should have been more thorough.

n.b Not a first post, forgot my old log on and created a new one.

12. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

A petition for Cisco to release an educational IOS would be an avenue worth exploring, I think there is already a movement to ask Cisco make one available for use, I can't remember where I saw it on the net, I will have a look around for it.

If I can't find it on the net, is anyone interested in creating one?

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  13. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

http://etherealmind.com/cisco-ios-petition-reloaded/

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  14. danielno8

15. Sparky

Well there is no *public* evidence of this that we know of. Cisco have their policy on the use of IOS and we have to respect that regardless of how much resources they put into cracking down on people that use it in an emulator.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  16. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

The kit that the emulator supports is mainly old end of life tin that one could pick up from ebay for peanuts.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  17. diesel

diesel Bit Poster

Good find - Signed.

Maybe also worth noting that using the IOS outside the platform it was purchased for may be a violation of Cisco's licensing policies, but it is certainly not illegal to do so, especially in the EU. It does not fall under the same statute law as software piracy for example.

As far as the forum goes with discussing it, if it can be discussed openly on Cisco's own official learning forum with lab/performance tips etc and referenced to from their own official learning guides then not to do so here would simply be stupid.

18. danielno8

So is this the official word that GNS3 is NOT allowed to be mentioned on this site? If so then fair enough, but it's definately a shame the members of this community won't have the opportunity to learn together with this tool, given it is used by an organisation as close to Cisco as Cisco Press is.

19. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

That torrent thing looks pretty neat :eek: Nice find!

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  20. Sparky

It is a shame but that’s the official word by Cisco. Hopefully they will revise their policy in the future but until that time we need respect the official legal requirements on the use of IOS which is noted on their website.