SUSE Internet Connection Problems

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by michael78, Aug 1, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hi all, the pest is back. I'm trying out SUSE 9.3 and have to say it's the best distro of Linux I've seen. Now for my problem I still can't get onto the internet and have been messing around with settings for days now.

I'll explain my setup I have a Origo ADSL modem/Router/Switch and a Linksys wireless router, switch which my laptop gets it's wireless from and works fine. My main PC is also connected to the Linksys router and also works fine. Both have static address configured through the router and are running XP. Then I have another PC also connected to the router running SUSE 9.3 but it doesn't see DHCP nor work when I put in a static IP. When booting up it says it can't give out a DHCP address and I've checked the NIC card and it says it's configured. It's also not the cable as I've checked it. I'm totally new to Linux am I missing something as I'm tearing my hair out.

Any help is much appreciated...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm no SuSe guy, but post the output of "ifconfig -a". You'll have to su to root to run it from a bash shell, at least I have to Debian.

Also, try the command "lspci -v" from a bash shell. It will tell you what pci hardware the computer is recognizing. I'm not sure if that will work in SuSe or not. If not there is another way around it but if lspci works it's a lot less effort as I'm not sure of how SuSe has it's /proc heirarchy set up.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. michael78

ffreeloader I've done what you have said and get the following results. Does this shine a light on my problem :rolleyes:

eth1 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:E2:49:C9:32
    Broadcast Multicast MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen: 1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

lo Link encap: local loopback
    inet addr: 127.0.0.1 mask 255.0.0.0
    inet6 addr: : : 1/128 Scope:Host
    RX packets:62 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:62 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen: 0
    RX bytes:4012 (3.9 Kb) TX bytes: 4012 (3.9 Kb)

sit0 Link encap: IPv6-in-IPv4
    NOARP MTU:1400 Metric:1
    inet6 addr: : : 1/128 Scope:Host
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen: 0
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes: 0 (0.0 b)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
  4. ffreeloader

It sure does. eth0, your NIC, is not configured.

Does lspci work on a SuSe machine? If it does it will tell you if the computer is even recognizing your NIC as it will list all your pci cards and agp video cards. Along that line, what NIC are you using?

Also, see if lsmod works too. If SuSe uses lsmod it will print out all kernel modules used in your computer. Between that, lspci, and Google we can see if the correct module for your card is being loaded.

If these two commands work post the output from them here. You should be able to do this a couple of ways. First you can just run the command in a command prompt and copy and paste the output here like you did with ifconfig, or you can run the command like this: lsmod -v >> lsmod.txt That will output the results from the command to a text file in your home directory called, amazingly enough, lsmod.txt. Then you can copy and paste it here.

5. ffreeloader

Ooops. I see SuSe calls the first nic eth1, not eth0 as Debian does. Oh well, live and learn.

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Are you saying that your wireless machines are set up to get dynamic IPs via DHCP but your PCs use static addresses, including your SUSE machine? If so, why do you say that "it doesn't see DHCP"? How have you given the SUSE machine a static address? I assume it's on the same IP addressing scheme and subnet mask as the other statically configured machines.
    "It" meaning the SUSE machine. Why would you want it to give out an address via DHCP? Do you mean that it it can't get an address using DHCP? You should be able to configure the card via YaST. I can open YaST, click Network Devices, and click Network Card. The Network Cards Configuration Dialog box opens. On my NLD9 VM (which is basically SUSE 9.2), the bottom pane shows tht my PC card is already configured. If it weren't, the top pane would show the card. I can click the card to select it and click configure. If already configure, click Change.

On my machine, It shows the Name of the card, the MAC addresses and under IP address it shows "DHCP". I can click Edit and in the Choose the setup method box, I can choose either the "Automatic address set up (via DHCP) radio button or the "Static address setup" radio button. Since I have my DSL device acting as a DHCP server, I set it to the first option. If I didn't, I could select the second and enter the static IP and subnet mask info in the supplied fields. There is a Host Name and Name Server button that lets me put in the IP of the DNS server and a Routing button that lets me statically put in the IP of the default gateway. Since I'm using DHCP, I don't have to configure either of these areas but if you are using a static setup, you'll have to do this, or you won't be able to network or hit the Internet. Hope this is more helpful than confusing.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. ffreeloader

:oops: :oops:

I don't know how I did this, but I completely missed the word "wireless". I was troubleshooting for a wired connection. :oops: :oops:

You need to use iwconfig for checking settings for wireless networks.

Sorry slypie. I had a brain fart of some kind. Don't know how I missed such an important word.

8. michael78

ffreeloader/Trip cheers for the help guys. I'm probably confusing everyone. My wireless is only used for my laptop but it has an intergrated switch/router on it so both my other PC's are wired into the switch/router which is the Linksys one. I have static addresses for both of my Windows PC Laptop and main PC and have tried using both static and DHCP for my SUSE PC without any luck.
    Trip I use a similar setup to you were my ADSL device is setup to be a DHCP device. My two Windows PC's work fine either on Static or DHCP. I'm starting to think maybe the problem lies in my configuration of having a Linksys Router/Switch connected to my Origo ADSL Modem/Router. I'm going to have a look into my config tonight after work.

9. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  10. michael78

Phoenix cheers for that. I'll try it tonight I've got a lot of homework to do for tonight then :D I'll let you all know how I get on.