suse 10.2 install problem

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Paul_o, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

after several years of using windows i feel its time to have a go with linux. i down loaded suse 10.2 and would like to install it on my acer laptop keeping win xp thats already installed. the problem is when i boot using the linux dvd and begin install i get to the disk partition bit and i am not sure to just let it install using the default options or not. the hdd is set up as this-

acer c: 35.93 GB ntfs , win xp installed (Primary partition)

PQservice 2.93 GB fat 32 ( i think this has acers backup software on it.) can't delete this. (Primary Partition)

Linux d: 9.77 GB fat 32 ( this is where i want suse to install) (logical drive)

drive e: 26.22 GB ntfs (logical drive)

Linux wants to do this-

highlighted in red-
    shrink windows partition/dev/hda2 to 32.6 GB
    shrink windows partition/dev/hda6 to 10.2 GB

create swap partition/dev/hda4 2 GB
    create root partition/dev/hda7 7 GB with ext3
    create partition/dev/hda8 8.9 GB for /home with ext3
    set mount point of /dev/hda5 to /windows/d

i don't want to damage my xp install so not sure what to do? its the shrink windows partition i am wary of.

Certifications: C&G Advanced diploma in network support
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Best thing to do is under windows remove the Linux partition altogether so that is free space. (If it is FAT32 it isn't really Linux anyway).

What I'm not certain about is if you can install SUSE to a extended partition - you'll need to consult the docs.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

It'll install fine to an extended partition. Shrinking a partition is a risky proposition, however. Make sure you defragment the partition several times first.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  4. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

Thanks for the replies, i think i'll wipe the linux partition and leave it as blank space and see what it does then. its the shrinking of the windows partition i am wary of, plus its also in red text.

5. Paul_o

Paul_o Nibble Poster

just a follow up, i deleted the linux fat partition and left it as blank space, restarted suse and let it format it. left it to it and it installed fine. and xp still works too. just got to figure out how to install the apps from my back track pen test cd on to it now.

6. Crito

Crito Banned

YaST is SuSE's "control center". Among other things you can use it to download and install apps

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none