Superbowl XLII

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by MrNerdy, Jan 22, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Aww you spoiled the dream!!! :cry:

I remain dedicated to the LA Rams forever though! Perhaps a petition should be drawn up to move them back to LA where they belong. :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. stubbs89

stubbs89 Bit Poster

i never have clue what's going on so i don't try and watch

Certifications: none
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Neither do I. It's a bit of a blink and you'll miss it game.

I think I blink during the 1 second of actual game play and then only see the aftermath of a bunch of blokes stood around for 8 hours deciding something or other while the main leader guy has a problem with some guys called Red (age) 42, Blue (age) 68 and the Hut Hut brothers...

Ice Hockey, now there's a quality sport. Well, quality after football (I mean 'soccer'). :biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Now you're talking. Best sport on Earth and that's a damn fact.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If I had to choose between keeping the Titans or the Preds... I'd probably have to choose the Preds.

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Alright, BM, keep that pseudo-sport out of a American Football thread :p

Do you guys actually watch football? Do they run it on popular stations? I ask because the accuracy of what I read so far points to an idle curiosity, nothing more :twisted:.

All kidding aside, if the Pats don't win this, the season (and accomplishment) is futile. In football, nothing really matters except the Super Bowl. I'm a Skins fan as well, but I like the Giants (taboo, I know -- same division), and I hope their defense can keep Brady in check. They played them tough earlier, so it should be a good game. The G-men got better during the year, and the Pats might have lost a step -- they were blowing teams out during the first half of the year (their division kinda sucks), and the better teams were keeping them in check.

We'll see on Feb. 3!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  7. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Some clubs are still owned by individuals or by a small group's, some are even owned by yanks(Liverpool & Manchester United)!
    The Premiership only runs the Premiership, it's The Football League who run's football with the Football Association(The FA).
    And their are other clubs apart from the 22 in the premiership!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  8. BosonMichael

Oh, no, you didn't just say that... got about 3 of us on here that'll jump you for sayin' that... :blink

Yep, I watch every week. Many guys will watch college football all day and night Saturday, then pro football all day and night on Sunday, and again on Monday night. I'm not that hardcore... I just watch my Titans (and I couldn't care less about college ball).

Yes, they run it on popular stations. In the US, there are four major broadcast stations: ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX. The games at 1pm and 4:15pm on Sunday are run on CBS and FOX. The game on Sunday night is run on NBC, and the game on Monday night is run on ESPN (cable sports). The Monday night game used to be run on ABC (ABC and ESPN are owned by the same company).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. BosonMichael

If they're not allowed to move them, the league must have some pretty tight reins! :)

10. Areayea

Areayea New Member

I wish the broncos were still in the running... but they really sucked this year, oh well, I guess I can hope for next year...

11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Some of us in the UK do watch football - its been on over here since the mid eighties. I used to play it (Stong Safety) when i was younger - for a team called the Kent Rams - we were National junior Champs :biggrin I've been a Broncos fan for twenty years - they didn't suck THAT bad this year Areayea, but injuries took their toll. The killer for me was the choke against the Bears.

12. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

The thing to remember is that the whole of the UK would fit in to just the Lone Star State of Texas.
    So Football in the UK is very much a close knit thing except for one team moving in the last few years.
    Wimbledon FC (nickname The Dons) sold their ground in Merton and moved to Milton Keynes and are now known as the MK Dons.
    First time this has happened in years i think.
    Not all Counties in England have a major football team, but on a Saturday their are probably over 1,000 different League sides playing & most not in the full time game.

zebulebu just noticed your in Croydon, not far from me.
    Got a meeting tomorrow in Croydon, it's a lovely place after all they called the hospital after the international call-sign for an emergency.
    Mayday!!!!!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  13. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Hey BM -- did you forget which side of the pool I'm from? Or were you merely informing the UK contingent?

Oh, and I was just kidding -- before the break, I was a pretty big Caps fan. I like watching Alexander the Great, but outside of that, there's not a lot to get excited about. I really miss hockey -- and I know why. I haven't been to a game in 15 years, and that always used to fire me up. With Football, Baseball, a little bit of Basketball (more college than pros, but I'll watch the Wizkids), and Golf, who has time for...wait, what was the name of that thing? :p

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  14. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

OK, let's get it straight, in hockey there's everyone else, then there's the Leafs (I wish...:cry:). I'll take Syd the Kid over Alexander the Great any day.

As for Superbowl talk... I still want the Pats to make some history and finish this thing.
    We'll talk basketball when the playoffs start :)

15. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

BM - didn't think that that was the case anymore. As I recall, Al Davies took the league to Court on anti-trust lawsuit (I think, or some sort or restrictive practices thingy) because they tried to block his move into, or out of, Los Angeles (can't remember which one) - as I recall, the NFL were forced to back down. That was what allowed the Baltimore Colts to leave for Indianapolis in the middle of the night without telling anyone. Now - all of that is from memory so I could be getting mixed up, anyhows, that's how I remember it, don't mock me if I'm wrong :cry:

Another thing Mr Nerdy is the fan following. In America, there are cities that would kill to get their hands on an NFL team because there are so few to go around (enter Buffalo going to Canada maybe!!!), but in England, there are football teams everywhere. Basically, you're taught to hate every other team apart from the one you support so if a team did happen to move to another city it would get little or no support from the locals who were already loyal to the local team. The MK Dons got away with it because I don't think Milton Keynes had their own team - could you imagine the repercussions if, say, Arsenal moved to, say, Manchester. There would be riots in both cities :D

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  16. BosonMichael

Oops. Yep, I did forget, my friend! Not many of us over here... I shoulda remembered. Forgive me? :oops:

That said... it's still probably good info for the UK contingent. :)

Ah, to think that we *almost* had a trade for AO. Woulda been great for the Preds!

17. BosonMichael

You might be right... you are correct that the NFL tried to block Davis from moving the Raiders from Oakland to LA (who moved back a few years later) and couldn't do so. However, I did a little digging and found this forum post:

Would have to do more research to find out if that's accurate or not.

Ah, that would explain it... if most cities had an NFL franchise close by, there'd be no talk of movement.

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Preds treading water this year Mike. Never shoulda let Kariya go - but for injuries he would have been up there with the true greats of the game. Must have been nice to see him play for your team - man I was hoping the Pens would have gone in for him during the FA frenzy in the offseason - could have dumped Recchi for the cap room instead of hoping he wasn't past his prime (he is!)

No offence meant, but I still find it difficult to equate Nashville with hockey (along with Carolina, Tampa, Sunshine, Dallas and Anaheim!) and I think you'll find it difficult to keep hold of them if Balsillie ever gets his act together - he's damn set on getting a team in Hamilton and I think the NHL needs another Canadian franchise.

TBH I'm just glad you're not a Philly fan - them Failures are much improved this year and it irks me to see it! :twisted:

PS: How's Radulov working out? Saw a few QMJHL games a couple of years ago and watched him tear that league up - he played on a line with some dude named Boisclair who never got drafted cos his skating was so cruddy. I swear - no exaggerating here - I saw him score seven times in one game towards the end of their season. The guy is brutally talented, but I don't see him being a consistent success in the league cos his workrate is poor.

19. BosonMichael

The Preds didn't let Kariya go... Kariya was antsy about the Preds' ownership situation, so he signed with the Blues. He would have stayed with the Preds had the ownership situation been resolved - he likes stability. :(

Now that our ownership situation is resolved, we should be able to make some moves... that's why we started pursuing trade talks to get AO.

In truth, I hated to see Vokoun go, but I realize why they did it... Mason was putting up just as good numbers, and he came at a lower cost. Can Mason pull out an extra gear like Vokoun? Probably not. But I'm hopeful he (and Ellis) will do well enough.

Balsillie already had his grip around the Preds and lost them. Leipold, the former Preds owner, had an agreement to sell to him. We thought they were as good as gone to Hamilton. Then, Balsillie made a bold (stupid) move to start selling season tickets to the Hamilton Predators, and the NHL Board of Governors got reeeally upset at him. Leipold saw the writing on the wall and knew Balsillie would never get enough BoG votes to be allowed to purchase the team, so Leipold denounced Balsillie's actions publically and said he wouldn't sell to him.

Leipold eventually sold to a group of local investors, plus a minority share to Boots DelBiaggio, who owned (owns?) a very small piece of the Sharks. Local investment was the thing missing here in Nashville; now they can drum up corporate support that Leipold, a Milwaukee businessman, could never get.

The NHL may well grant Balsillie a team, eventually... but thank God it won't be Nashville's! :) He's tried, and he lost.

Philly is turning into Nashville North, with ex-Preds Timonen, Hartnell, and Upshall.

Rads is doing OK - 17 goals, 20 assists... flashes of brilliance and dominance, but as you say, he needs to be more consistent. For example, he had one goal and one assist from 1/7 to 1/20... and four goals and one assist from 1/21 and 1/23. Hot and cold, hot and cold: link

I remember hearing about that 7-goal game you're talking about! :ohmy absolutely amazing!! You can't teach goal scoring... you've either got the touch, or you don't. Rads has it. I just hope he gets the consistency up.