suggestions for a new sound card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dales, Jan 18, 2008.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I'm just thinking about upgrading my sound card from an audigy to something a bit more up to date. I've had it quite a number of years now and it is having lots of trouble with vista ultimate (keeps locking up the system randomly).

I do occasionally use the break out box that came with the audigy to write music but have never been happy with the quality (this version isnt true 24/96). Mostly the computer runs xp home vista ultimate dual boot and is my virtual server lab. Also these days my recreation of choice is mostly games as writing tunes takes up alot of time (which as a family man now I dont have).

Can anybody recommend anything that is has a decent sound quality and can also do recording cause at the moment i've ripped out the audigy and am using the ac97 on the mobo to keep vista stable so I can actually use it more.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hm. I didn't have any trouble with my Audigy on Vista... <shrug>

If I were going to recommend a sound card, it'd be another Creative Labs card (I've got an X-Fi Fata1ity, though on XP)... so that won't likely help your problem, will it? :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

yes I was looking at the x-fi it is listed as vista compatible but I wanted to check with you guys first as to what you used with vista etc. As I say mostly I'll play games when im not studying but a decent recording quality would be good to on occasion.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Although I used the Audigy on my Vista test box, I really didn't put it through the ringer by testing it on games or recording... and I haven't used the X-Fi on Vista yet. Wish I could be of more assistance to you!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Go for the X-fi...I have one in each of my machines...both of which run Vista Ultimate (one 64 and the other 32), never had any issues with them (other than when the card in my main machine decided to go pop lol but it was replaced no problem after that).

I did have an audigy SE years ago and when I moved to Vista it was fine had no issues at all...

But seriously if ur like me and u love ur movies and games...X-Fi are the daddys...I have two of the XtremeMusic versions and love them both...coupled with the Creatve T6100 5.1 surround sound speakers...its brilliant :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

One sound card I can't recommend enough is the m-audio Audiophile 2496
    I have used this card in my music pc for the past few years and I have never had a problem with it, it sounds amazing and its really cheap now, a few years back it cost £150 and was considered value for money then. A quick google search found turnkey selling them for £44 HERE.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA