Sugar tax

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, May 29, 2018.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

So you may have seen all the headlines in the news about this particular tax.

From what I can gather the money raised will go to grassroots sports, ie getting kids to play some activity but am I wrong in thinking the tax should go to subsidising healther food, like veg for instance?

Also if you are a bit of a conspiracy theorist like me, you would rather take the high fructose corn syrup rather than the aspartame alternative. To be fair, both are very bad for you, however in my opinion, there is a better alternative, Glucose.

If you have a bit of time, i suggest you look for a youtube clip called sugar, the bitter truth, its over one and a half hours long but very very informative.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this? Im thinking JK, Dmarsh and Julez will have an opinion

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Was talking to someone about this the other day. Wife and I are on a diet. We LOVE food and enjoy cooking, eating out.
    We aren't obese, but could do with using a few stone.

Popped into Tesco and looked at getting some healthy stuff. Just a quick dinner before we do the major shop.

Two small Salads and a bit of Chicken came to about £10.00. Across the aisle was a Tesco Meal Deal. Side dish, Main Course, Desert and a Bottle of Wine....£10.00. As you say, cut down the cost of Veg and healthy stuff and see people buy more of it.

What REALLY P!$$e$ me off is people like Jaime Oliver. I would LOVE to see him do a 12 Hour shift (Include Commute) and knock up a really healthy dinner on a budget. Its all very nice when he is in his kitchen cooking up his Braised Quail (A Bargain at £12.00 for a small bit of meat). Try explaining that to Sharon who has just got home from work, on a budget and has two kids that want Turkey Twizzlers.

Bit of a rant, sorry!

3. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

I'm sorry, but this argument, that healthy food is too expensive is patently untrue.

You can buy a dozen eggs, a head of broccoli, a bag of carrots for less than £3. That could easily feed one person for 2, perhaps 3 days. So we're looking at just over a pound a day, for healthy fresh food.

4. Pseudonym

Glucose isn't necessary either. If you need calories, load up on fats. We don't need anywhere near as much sugar in our diet as the average person eats.

Keto is the way forward.

5. zxspectrum

But what about the quality of the veg and eggs you mention? Do they not lose nutrition as the days go by so to speak?

Are we talking Aldi, Morrisons or M+S here because I can certainly tell the difference.

Also Jaron has a point about the time it takes to cook a decent meal, myself I cook a batch and freeze the lot.

6. zxspectrum

Yeah, in regards to that, my thinking is that we do need sugar, in its natural form. Glucose is totally different as it can be processed by the body and used by every organ which gives its a 98% efficiency rate, HFCS, mainly get processed by the liver, stops the production of leptin, which tells you that you are full, and if you really dig down into it, should be classed as a toxin.

7. Pseudonym

Actually the prices I was referencing were Waitrose, although it was the basic range. I personally don't believe there's any discernible quality between Aldi or most other supermarkets. Even if you do take that into consideration. You're still only adding £1 onto the total.

What constitutes a decent meal? You can throw something in the oven for half an hour and do something else in the meantime if you're stretched for time. Like hang the washing out or have a shower.

8. Pseudonym

Fats can be converted by your body into glucose.

9. zxspectrum

Well i think there must be, would you rather eat something that was fresh or 10 days old, and if it was 10 days old what would the difference be, would the taste be affected, the colour, the nutrition etc?

10. zxspectrum

Can they? Please tell me you have a link, also what type of fats are you referring too

11. Pseudonym

Well aren't we talking about eating healthy here? Eating any kind of broccoli is going to be more nutritious than eating cake. Wasn't that the argument being made?

12. Pseudonym

Sorry, slight mistake on my part. Gluconeogenesis is the process of turning fats into glucose, this can be used for about 5-6% of the fat intake. The remainder is converting fatty acids into ketone bodies. The net result is the same though - low & stable levels of insulin & blood glucose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis

13. zxspectrum

I get your point and you are correct in what you say, 10 day old broccoli would be better than cake but obviously not 100 day old broccoli as that would be rotten and full of germs.

I think from all of this I am trying to get some proper perspective on the while saga, also if your body can convert fat into glucose anything that doesnt get burnt off is stored as a fat,no? So then any bad sugar like HFCS would still be stored as fat but could get burnt off as glucose at some point?

14. zxspectrum

You do realise that you posted that as I was replying, which means it doesnt count ha ha

15. Jaron78

Fair point on that but I am afraid we are going to have to disagree (On the basis of Tesco Waltham Abbey) its either bloody expensive, or has gone off within a couple of days.

16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Or you could of course get a couple of hens and have fresh eggs every day (well nearly, depends on the bird). We keep 3 birds in the garden, it takes a small amount of feed to keep them and they generally provide 2 -3 eggs on a daily basis.

As it stands the eggs you purchase in the supermarkets are already close to 3 weeks old, you can certainly tell the difference between fresh and store bought eggs.

As far as diet is concerned, there are lots of reports out there throwing all different diets in both good and bad lights, however generally speaking you want an amount of carbs / proteins and fats in each of your meals, ideally you want whole carbs (unprocessed rather than processed, so fresh veg etc, not fruit juices from concentrates etc).

Ideally you need to know what it is you want from your "diet", is it weight loss, weight gain, is it to stay the same you are? Depending on those requirements should then lead you to your daily calorie requirements, whether you're going for a loss, gain or maintenance.

I think it's a great idea of the sugar tax, I also think it's a great idea to try and eat healthily (I just don't).

I could spend hours talking diets / health and fitness etc so I will stop here.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
    Jaron78 likes this.
  17. Jaron78

We are starting a diet in a week or two (My Wife and I, not me and @SimonD)

We have the sister-in-laws 40th coming up so there will be Alcohol. Soon as that is out the way, we are hitting the diet. I would like to apologise in advance for any attitude or Grumpyness I have over the coming months!

18. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I went to Pizza Hut for the first time in 6 months, was shocked to discover that they have stopped selling Pepsi from the drinks dispenser (they still sell it in bottles tho) and have stopped serving pasta and bread sticks from the salad bar as they are too unhealthy

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  19. Jaron78

Yet still serve dough covered in Cheese. The Pasta at PH wasn't bad in all honesty. Though not been to a PH in a long time.

20. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

This was just the cold pasta, they still serve Mac N Cheese and Lasagne and yes, Pizzas :D