Subnetting!

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by zimbo, Jul 25, 2006.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

right im sure alot of you were waiting for this to pop up - more like a oh he's gonna die with it!:biggrin

I have visited learntosubnet.com and searched the forums (found a good doc from simon - very useful and very good - thanks again!) and done some googling and got about 70 pages on subnetting.

Like everyone says you dont get it at the 1st time - so ill look at it tommorrow again and the next day and make something gets in. BUT im struggling... to find the subnet mask... once i got the mask i think im ok so work needs to be done. A few questions is there more than one way to subnet? How much does subnetting and supernetting feature in 291 (lots of questions, few, maybe 1 or 2?) And that MS Press book is useless for this - first time its left me saying HUH??:blink :blink :cry:

Also lets say i got a range that start from 192 and another from 131 - would you use the same method to subnet both ranges or do you use a method for one range and another method for another?

I think im going to crack a beer open... 12:30am and the temperature outside is 35C and humidity at 70%... try subnetting in that!:biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Zim,

Cracking a beer open would be a great idea, :thumbleft :morebeer.

Subnetting is a subject on my list that i want to master.

I think you maybe getting confused due to the class/less addressing schemes.

I haven't purchased the learntosubnet.com CD, but the creator said there *are some extras on there*. I think it is one of those topics that might take a while to come to grips with, but once it has sunk in, you are on your way.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yup Zimbo subnetting is one of those topics which can easily confuse the hell out of people. I remember my instructor Dave, writing all this stuff on the white board. Initially I was fine and able to understand what he was trying to teach us and then suddenly, my mind froze up. From that point on in the lesson, I was mentally numb. I did eventually master what I needed to know but it took time, patience and effort for my brain to accept and understand the subject. Just keep at it and make sure you do *all* those exercises on learntosubnet.com. Also make up your own questions and work the answers out.

There are many ways in which people subnet, some use methods which mean a lot to them but confuse me. If you keep at it, you will find one that suits you and suddenly all will click into place. It's not so much a difficult subject as a confusing one :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

How you 'subnet' depends on the environment you are in.

If Classful then you use the old subnet rules - and there are at least two sets of these which aren't exactly equivalent.

If classless then 'subnetting' is very different. And in many ways much simpler.

In this case the 'environment' can include "Which exam are you doing?". Some exams assume the old style.

I find this very irritating, considering that the RFC for CIDR was published 13 years ago. Isn't it about time they got current?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

70-291 thanks guys...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Here btw is a free downloadable subnet calculator. It's still in the beta stages (I'm helping test it) but works well.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice one Si, I've bookmarked that one, as I hate manually subnetting.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)