stupid sister got vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 23, 2007.

1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Lol, just kidding, I have a sister tto y'know ! :biggrin

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

mmm wanna swap :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I don't think her bf would like that ! :blink

4. greenbrucelee

Worth a try :D

5. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

wow you guys are cracker wanting to swap sisters!! :biggrin I know i wouldnt swap my 3 sisters for the world. Of course if anyone wants to swap brothers...lol

Anyway as with Vista and USB modems, as we all now know they hate each other. I remember when me and a mate of mine were testing Vista back in the beta days. It just didnt like USB modems at all...at first it didnt like many ethernet ones either. But once that was tackled USB just wasnt going to cut it. So, GBL, if you can somehow persuade your sister to let you install these USB drivers that have been found and she still wont let you...simply tell her that its either that or she spends £60 on an ethernet modem (yes we know they are cheaper but just scare her a little hehe).

And Fergal, I agree with you about Vista 64 bit...I have been using 32 bit for a long time and it started to tick me off. So over the weekend I removed it, and now my PC has Media Centre 2005, XP Pro x64 and Vista x64...and my God is it running well :biggrin

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

There's an old saying: "God helps those that help themselves".

Now I'm not sure I believe in God but, as far as I'm concerned, the closest all my mates get to 'God' as far as IT goes, is Yours Truly. If anyone I know failed to take my advice and persisted, against all common sense, in using a piece of shite like a USB modem, they would get absolutely zero response from me technically. Seriously - if she's not willing to put the effort in and pay 30 notes for a 'real' router in this day and age, I say sod her.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. greenbrucelee

I will tell her I can get the drivers for her crappy modem the next time i speak to her but if she doesn't want to listen then she can bog off.

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I installed Vista Ultimate about three months ago and haven't used XP since.

And there are always problems associated with new operating systems, Vista is probably the least problematic OS to date.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. You and that sense of humor of yours. You made me spit my drink on my keyboard....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well GBL i think the phrase here is you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make them drink it etc. , not that im saying your sister is a horse by any means, i dont fancy a kung fu beating today lol

I have developed a system in helping people nowadays, if they know nothing and want you to sort something out for them fine, thats ok with me, but when they listen to ther peoples ideas that are wrong and have thier mind set on sonmething else, when they have a problem again i tell them to ask the person who helped them out last time.

I had a similar situation with helping a friends aunt out and went round to her house to help her set up, and it weas one of them problems tht was challenging and not straight forward etc, and to be honest i was enjoying it. I then found out that she went to pc world on the night i was supposed to go round which they kept for a week and charged her for it as well.

I didnt even get a thank you from her, after all the effort and time i put in and she goes and does that, says a lot really

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad to be of service Freddy :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. greenbrucelee

Nah she is no horse, she's a fu**** idiot. :twisted:

13. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

A friend of the wife had a computer and she was a complete non-tech, non-computer person. I offered to help her setting up the system and I did. I told her to call me if there were problems. She called me twice to help her with problems and after that I didn't hear from her for about a year.
    Then came a stressed call from her if I could help her.
    I found her computer a complete mess. The machine gave a lot of errors on start-up. Half of windows was gone, drivers were missing, you think of a problem, she had it.
    Turned out she had asked her neighbours son (14) to look at her system because she had a minor problem. She didn't want to bother me with this 'simple thing'.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP