Studying Aid -something to think about

Discussion in 'A+' started by striker10, Dec 7, 2004.

1. striker10

striker10 New Member

Hi,

What do you think are good study aids?

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

If you can, get a hold of some Cramsessions guides. Also, some form of CBT (computer-based training). Also, take good notes (in my opinion anyway).

It's very much a case of finding your own study technique :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

For the A+ I'd recommend you get hold of an old PC that you can play around with, that will be a valuable learning aid.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I think taking note's, and having a lab (Real would be nice, but virtual does it for me :D ), and for the A+ having a machine that you can dissect without having to worry bout screwing up.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Get yourself a good study guide, a PC + components you can fiddle around with, and some computer based training (I use certify.com's Exam Essentials to test myself, they have test questions for most certs (though not much MS).

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Get the Meyers book, a couple of old PCs and give it a wack. The book includes a disk with mock tests on it. I don't know about the current A+, but working on PCs...breaking them and fixing them...will give you a leg up on the hardware portion of the exam.

For the OS portion, I had to get big pieces of butcher paper and diagram all the memory spaces so I could memorize them. The rest is just understanding how to find and fix stuff in the Windows OS and for that, you just need to play around with those features using the book as a guide until you get good at it.

My 2 cents anyway.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. quackers

quackers Nibble Poster

Are the mock exams on the books any good? Are they the actual questions used in the proper exam?

Certifications: Degree, A+
    WIP: CCNA, MCDST
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

They are very realsitic, yes, but I don't think they'd put the ACTUAL questions in with the book...Still, IMHO they are a very reasonable reflection of what you can expect to face "on the day"

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, the for real exam questions are supposed to be a closely guarded secret so that the integrity of the test can be preserved. That's why we disapprove of braindumps so strongly around here.

Best way to prepare for the exam is to make sure you know the material...not necessarily to make sure you know the questions being asked.
    :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+