study tips

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by tshirtsuntan, Aug 10, 2007.

1. tshirtsuntan

tshirtsuntan New Member

hello just joined today.
    i am currently studying for the mcdst and am using the microsoft press books.i really need to ask advice really because im reading from the books and taking notes at the same time but i dont feel like its all sinking in.is this natural and maybe some time soon it will all come together or can anyone possibly tell me how they have done it or are doing it.
    many thanks in advance to you all .their certainly seems like a wealth of knowledge on these forums! hope some comes my way!

WIP: mcdst
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and Welcome.

The best advice I can give you is to use the software you are going to be tested on for the DST exams; XP, Internet Explorer (check - might be covering 7 now), and Office Outlook.

When you are happy with the content get some exam prep software.

Good luck

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

At first when you start something new it is difficult because you dont know. It take some time to understand certain concepts especially if you never dealt with anything like the MCDST.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

the exam still covers IE6 and I think it always will as the vista exams cover IE7, as previously mentioned theres nothing like getting your hands dirty, read a chapter of whatever book you have got then actually goahead and do what you have just learned.

Try things out if you break it try and fix it thats the best way of learning for me. Reading the book is all well and good but I find I understand it more if I actually practice what im studying, generally you will then get a deeper understanding than what is required anyway and you will be quids in!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings and welcome. I can't add to what the others said and agree that you need to actually practice the tasks you'll be tested on, not just read about them. As Yoda once said "Do or do not. There is no try". Cheers. :)

Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. tshirtsuntan

tshirtsuntan New Member

thanks to eveyone who has replied its great advice and so friendly too! thanks again for making me feel welcome.

9. Bambino1506

Bambino1506 Megabyte Poster

Welcome mate, I'm going through the MS press book at a decent speed and taking in as much as i can, then I will reread and make notes on the parts I think I need to memorise.

Then in the last month of my study I plan to revise all my notes and do some practice exams etc.

Will let you know how it all goes :)

Certifications: MCP,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: CCA
  10. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Pretty much what everyone has already said, use the software that your being tested on and buy a couple of books. The Microsoft ones for the MCDST are good and I would also recommend the Exam Cram ones as well for a final brushup.

The second exam caused me a lot of problems as it was heavily based on Exchange (If memory serves me right) and never using Exchange at that time I really struggled with it. Making notes also helped me with this exam and as strange as it is failing the second exam helped me as it allowed me to see the areas that I needed brushing up on. The first exam was easy for me but the second was a pain.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  11. tshirtsuntan

tshirtsuntan New Member

thanks slypie again this feedback is great and very useful.cheers mate!