Study Thread

Discussion in 'Cyber Ops' started by Jaron78, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Afternoon All,

Sorry for the lack of communication. Was in Poland all last week and half of this week working so only just been able to catch up on everything.

OK, so I have 4 medals to go until I can claim my Voucher. Hope to have them done today and tomorrow. Each section has an end of section test and you have to get at least Bronze on all Sections. You have to do the Labs too so think I can finish them all in time.

I am looking to have the Exam booked for March which will give me a few weeks to go over notes, review areas I am weak in (Linux) and maybe hit some more of the tests.

Will keep you all updated.

Cheers

2. Jaron78

Afternoon All,

Sorry for the lack of communication. Was in Poland all last week and half of this week working so only just been able to catch up on everything.

OK, so I have 4 medals to go until I can claim my Voucher. Hope to have them done today and tomorrow. Each section has an end of section test and you have to get at least Bronze on all Sections. You have to do the Labs too so think I can finish them all in time.

I am looking to have the Exam booked for March which will give me a few weeks to go over notes, review areas I am weak in (Linux) and maybe hit some more of the tests.

Will keep you all updated.

Cheers

3. Jaron78

So I have now completed the SecFND course.
    For anyone that is in Cohort 7, PLEASE PLEASE do not take this course lightly.

I now have my Certificate of completion two days before the deadline. I am just waiting for the Exam voucher.

We have a group of about 15 People on Skype, so far, two have taken the exam and two have failed so far!

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Best of luck with it and thanks for sharing the advice. Sounds like a beast of an exam

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Good luck mate. Let us know how you get on.

6. Jaron78

Cheers @Pseudonym

Had a bit of a nightmare with the Voucher.
    Finished the course on a Thursday and didn't get the voucher till the Thursday after!

Some people finished the course on a Thursday and got the Voucher a couple of days later!!

Ive booked the exam for Mid-March. Also bought the e-book from Cisco Press as it comes with four practice exams and end of Chapter questions. Planning on going through the videos and my notes, and then just spend a week and half doing questions.

7. Pseudonym

Man that sucks. I'll keep that in mind for when I'm going through it.

What happens if you do one exam and don't have time to do the other by the end of the scholarship if you don't mind me asking? Can you future date the second exam voucher? Time seems pretty tight for 2 exams!

I'm also planning on getting the press book. I feel like I learn better from books and can take notes more effectively.

8. Jaron78

Its brutal mate. I have to have the exam for SecFnd done by March 25th. After that, no more Vouchers for the SecFnd.
    IF I can pass the SecFnd, it gives me about 6 weeks to pass the SecOps.

If I have to resit the SecFnd, then Im only going to have 5 weeks on SecOps.

9. Pseudonym

So does your cohort and cohort 6 overlap then? Cause I start April 2nd

10. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I was due to start cohort 5 and quite honestly couldn't commit to it, there is now way I can assign 3 - 4 hours a day to this and maintain my day job, I can't even get the time to study for a VCP let alone the Cyber Ops course.

If I do decide to do this then it will have to be done via something like Udemy (if they have it) or LiveLessons.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  11. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Big fan of Udemy, its come a long way and does some excellent courses. Their AWS offerings are seriously good for silly low prices

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  12. Jaron78

Hi Guys,

OK, took the Cyber Ops Sec Fnd and failed. Its not an issue, I can always retake it next week.
    The course is interesting, but for me, I dont think I will follow the route of Cyber Ops. Find the material a little boring to be honest and felt it would be really hands on, hacking etc.

I dont think its the course, its just that I dont think I would enjoy a Cyber Ops type of job.

As I said, I am going to retake the exam next week and even if I fail, I will still finish the course. Will put things on hold then until June, once I have passed my probation, back onto the ICND.

Cheers

13. Pseudonym

Unlucky mate. On the other hand, you'll be extra prepared for that re-take!

Yeah I don't think this would be the most interesting field to get into either, it's more blue team than red team. I do however think there are lots of interesting skills to learn from this course.

Have you had a look at the OSCP at all? If you're interested in hacking that's the one to go for. It's also my ultimate cert goal. I don't even want to be a pentester, but it'd be so much fun and such a huge achievement!

Jaron78 likes this.
  14. Jaron78

Exactly mate,well aware of what is to come ha ha.
    Its an OK course, dont get me wrong, but I imagined Cyber Ops would be a lot more exciting. I am still more keen on my ICND / CCNA i R&S in all honesty.

As I say, even if I fail the next exam, I will still finish the course. Just dont think that the Cyber Ops would be for me as a day to day job :)

15. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I started OSCP, got about 50% the way through but could not finish the labs.

The videos and manual is good for OSCP but I found the support non existent.

While hacking the first 20 hosts was fun, once you run out of ideas, sitting there trying to think of a way to penetrate the last 20 hosts, not so much fun.

If you don't want to be a pen-tester its a lot of work for not much point.

Jaron78 likes this.
  16. Jaron78

Yeah, I am honestly just not enjoying it mate. Its interesting, but just not something that I am really looking at full time.

17. sharonfrank

sharonfrank Bit Poster

Look forward to some good learning.

18. Jaron78

Morning All,

So half way through the Sec Ops course with about 3 weeks remaining it. On course for completion! A few things I have taken away:

• Security isn't for me! Don't get me wrong, the course is interesting and I have certainly learnt from it. However, it is not something I personally would want to follow as a career path. This is just my opinion though. The Labs are excellent, I just couldn't imagine sitting there every day just looking at packets. Id like to be more hands on.
    • Some modules can be really boring. Reams and reams of text that in the grand scheme of the course, are irrelevant in all honesty.
    • DONT get a new job half way through the course, it totally throws you.
    • In hindsight, I should have gone for the June cohort. I wasn't happy in my last job and as soon as I was accepted, I chose the closest date with the intention of getting through the course and looking at a SOC role. As I said, I now feel that SOC isn't for me and actually found myself wanting to get back too INCD 1/2.
    Overal, its a BRILLIANT opportunity and I am really pleased I finished the course (well will have finished it in a couple of weeks). If Security is something you want to follow, then this course is a great starting point.

For me now, I have a three month probation period so hopefully that goes well. Going back to the ICND 100-105 and hope to have that out the way by June. Going to go directly into the CCNA R&S after that and then onto Juniper Junos (As that is what we use at the new place). All the NOC guys are on Linux so I have wiped my personal laptop and installed Linux on it. Going to use that for my CCNA / Junos so I can get an idea of how to use Linux in a NOC environment.

Any questions just fire them over.
    Cheers

Rob1234 likes this.
  19. Pseudonym

Hi mate, well done on finishing the course.

Did you take the SECOPS exam? If so, how did you find it compared to SECFND?

20. Jaron78

Hi mate,

Finished the course and actually found it quite interesting. However, doing it as a full time job, isn't for me.
    I was going to resit the SecFND and then hit the SecOps, but then speaking to the guys at the new job and in all honesty, it wouldn't have really benefited me.

They have suggested I concentrate more on CCNA, Linux+ and Junos.

I may revisit Sec Ops. But need to get my probation done first then get the CCNA and get into the NOC team.