Study Methods

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by Methodman85, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Hey Derkit,
    I'm unclear of what you you mean by mind map... sounds like some Vulcan method of studying.
    What exactly is your process, sounds interesting!

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Are you serious, I guess I should quit my whining. When I read the press books though my mind just keeps wondering, and I keep having to re-read what I just read.
    How many hours would you say it takes you to get through an MS Press book chapter?

When I didn't know what I was doing and ordered the self study core pack 290, etc. I only read 3 chapters before I realized I needed to re-evaluate my approach.

But it seemed to me it would take at least 3 or more hours per chapter. That's pretty bad isn't it?

3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Try reading out loud to yourself. Loud enough that you hear it!
    Mind stays more focused (and less wondering) when it has to read, pronounce and listen. :)

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thats nothing I've got C++ computer books I've read 3+ times. When I was starting out sometimes a single page would take me 10 minutes to get through.

The Microsoft books are pretty easy going in comparison, large fonts, lots of pictures, its like a kiddie book.
    If I'm studying full time I can do around 100-150 pages of a M$ book in a day, say about 15-20 pages an hour on average including exercises. This sounds slow but you need to try stuff out and practice and I find in general I can't skim read tech books, for new subjects you have to really grasp the concepts and think about the implications.

5. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

LOL like a kiddy book?
    Alright no more complaining for me. I haven't read a book since highschool (And it was a Novel for an assignment) so it's no wonder. I have to get into the reading spirit.

I will try reading outloud, thanks for the tip sunn. :biggrin

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I was like that when I did C++ at uni, I was like WTF does <conio.h> mean and why should I care, it took me nearly a whole term to read that book and I still didn't get it. I was the same with ASP :blink

I think if its something your really interested in then you wull study and learn well but if its something you don't like or don't have an interest in then you might struggle.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Gibby

Gibby Bit Poster

I generally read a book (used sybex, mspress and exam crams so far) and make notes on each chapter as I go, I then use these notes and practice exams (transcender and the free ones with the books) in the last week to 10 days before the exam.

worked well enough for me so far :)

Certifications: NT4 MCSE
    WIP: MCSA, MCSE