Study Method

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by daft_togger, Nov 3, 2008.

1. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

I've recently studied and passed my first MCP (70-290). I graduated in 1999 and not studied anything of significance since.

I found that I seemed to take too long grasping subjects for this exam and I suspect it was due to my study method, so just wondered how others study and what works for them.

I tend to re-write practically the whole book which makes getting though a chunky book time consuming. Guys at work say they just read the book though and then do practice questions.

Now working towards Vista exam 70-620 before I take on the harder 70-291 & 293 exams.

Any advice is appreciated.

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I refer you to a similar thread which may be of use to you, found using the similar threads link at the bottom of this page :p

http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18581

There is a wealth of information in the forum, you just need to search for it. *hint hint, search function* :p

From personal experience I also tend to write out a lot of what I read which is very time consuming. It works, but as I said... it's all about the time it takes.

My new method purely relies on reading thoroughly and not making any detailed notes. If I can't do the practice questions at the end of the chapter then I re-read until I can (and feel confident about what I have read).

Each to their own though - it's entirely dependant upon how you absorb information best. Try a few of the methods mentioned in the above link, they may help.

:)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Many different weays to study and it comes down to what works best for you.

In general terms, notes (whether long or bullet points) will work best when written in your own words so that you can understand the meaning of what you've written.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

To carry out the practicals in the book and to be fully prepared for the exams you need a lab setup. I personally prefer and use VMWare server, but there is also Virtual PC and both are free or have free versions.

Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

As I was scrolling down the page I was about to ask the question, do you do all the practical labs, as this is probably one of the 3 main methods of learning (ie reading, listening to/watching and doing)

I use a combination of all of these and i find each method misses things so I guess you could say its covering bases to do the lot.

But really you need to find out what your best method of learning is, as everyone is different.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Normally i take notes because just like a Chinese saying goes; "The palest ink is better than the most retentive memory". Believe me this works like magic..

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Unfortunately, you can't take the palest ink into the exam with you. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

:DDefinitely not....

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  9. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

Like the quote.....so perhaps my method is fine, just need to accept that each exam i going to take me min 6 weeks to prepare for. That said I am going to give 291 & 293 a bit longer as I really don't want to be resiting those.

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291