study for a CCNA without work experience??

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by demarrer, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Not much longer Mike :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  2. kyvandepeer

kyvandepeer New Member

I am 17 years of age, studying in 6th form college Cisco, where CCNA is available and a variety of other courses. I have taken and passed: IT Essentials 1 & 2, CCNA1, CCNA2 and am now continuing with CCNA 3 & 4, I have also studied Microsoft Server 2003 and Network+. I am leaving school next year and are very confused on how to approach a job as I do not know what sort of job i am interested in or what they involve. I would like to go into networking but anything else involving IT Systems would be ideal too. Ive looked at helpdesk jobs etc but they all want experience, what sort of job do you think could suit me and how should i go about it?

Certifications: Network+, Microsoft Server 2003, CCNA1-2
    WIP: CCNA External
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

All helpdesk jobs do not require experience... but just about every job dealing with Cisco will require experience. I know you are probably anxious to jump right into working with Cisco and/or Microsoft server technologies. However, jobs that deal with those technologies are higher-level jobs, and companies will not likely consider you for higher-level Cisco jobs until you get that experience because you will be competing against people who *do* have that experience.

I would recommend that you go after an entry-level job (which do not require experience) and working your way up the IT career ladder until you can use those technologies in your job. Entry-level jobs include, but are not limited to, helpdesk, PC repair tech, desktop support tech, field service tech, level 1 tech, etc.

Hope this helps!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

unfortunatly it can be a catch 22..... you need experience to help you get the CCNA, but employers wont take you on for a networking job unless you have a CCNA!

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  5. BosonMichael

That's not at all true - the "catch 22" is a myth. I started working with networking stuff as a field service tech, then as a systems admin, where the network admin allowed me to help him configure and administer Cisco gear. That gave me the experience to take the next step. Others have had similar experiences - I'm not an isolated case.

Further, there are plenty of places where Cisco gear isn't used. Do you think those employers care if you're Cisco certified? Perhaps... perhaps not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. CheeseOnToast

CheeseOnToast Nibble Poster

I have to be honest.

I was pretty much advised on this forum not to do my CCNA and go for the N+ etc

I am half way through the CCNA at the Academy and am breezing it. I had little network experience or knowledge to be honest and had never even seen a cisco router.. after spending some time in junior management.

I also just got a job but my extensive helpdesk and team leader experience helped wing it, but still got a technical job..

Certifications: ITIL Foundation
    WIP: CCNA
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

The advice we tend to give here is not an *absolute*. There are always exceptions to the rule. Since you are in a technical role now and you are progressing through your CCNA course work and doing well, go ahead and finish. Just don't expect to be immediately let loose on some company's switches and routers. Also, once you are done with the classes and (hopefully) pass the CCNA, if you *aren't* in a position where you practice those skill sets every day on the job, arrange to keep studying...at least enough to keep the information fresh. It would be a shame to achieve this goal just to forget the majority of what you've learned in six months.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. CheeseOnToast

Totally agree mate and I know for some people it is not suitable

I just think that sometimes people don't listen to what people are saying about their abilities

I am planning on completing the CCNA exam in June, and then immediately progressing to start studying for my BSCI exam and keep things going!

Job is doing 1st/2nd line comms support and some minor changes

9. BosonMichael

EDIT: double post

10. BosonMichael

We never mentioned anything about people's abilities, nor did anyone say you wouldn't be able to pass the CCNA without experience. It is QUITE possible to pass the CCNA, even without experience. What we do advise is that the CCNA isn't very helpful in helping someone without experience to get an IT job. That's the point.

Nor will the CCNP help you to advance without experience. Can you pass the exams? Most certainly. Will it help you get a better job? Without experience, not likely.

11. CheeseOnToast

I know you didn't Michael, I was just trying to get a little point over thats all

In my case, the fact I was on the CCNA course alone is what secured me the job as if I wasn't, I wouldn't of gotten the interview, they were very strong on the point they wanted me certified asap and to keep that going.

Anyways, all is well that ends well, eh?

Think this forum is great personally! :)

12. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

That's so that when they have a routing problem that no-one can fix they have someone else to blame - so that when management moan about it they can say "but we hired someone who's qualified".

Good luck in the job - without real-world experience you might need it - espeically if they're expecting you to maintain their WAN.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  13. CheeseOnToast

Yep, I'm going to winging it alright, but I'm fine with that, theres a couple of months til proper go-live of the sites I believe, so they want some help documenting before then, and I'm going on courses for the monitoring apps they use.. fingers crossed :)

14. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Thanks for all the comments.

I think that it is possible to go head an study for a CCNA and get the knowledge associated with that certificate without real world job experience first - though with the understanding that you may not get a job in IT at a CCNA level and be let loose.

Also I have discovered that a cert/qualification for some employers/recruitment agencies is important (especially here in France)and is a means to improve the appeal of your c.v whether you are starting out or are experienced. However, on its own a cert can't replace real life experience but it can prepare you for what you might encounter in a real life situation.

cheers

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  15. foxstrikef22

foxstrikef22 New Member

Hi This is my very first post on here. I think the CCNA requires a large amount of time and energy on the student's part, something which comes with the course. I've finished my N+ and working through the CCNA from Scheidegger training. They are OK but you have to push them to send you course material???

WIP: CCNA/CCNP