study for a CCNA without work experience??

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by demarrer, Dec 7, 2007.

1. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Very true and agree 100%! Let's just hope "certain" naive posters will see the light...

Cheers derkit!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Do you talk like that to your colleagues at work? I would not be surprised if you do cos I have some with an attitude like yours that I work with on a daily basis. I call them IT super stars, at least they couldn't appear in stars in their eyes so IT is the next near thing I suppose. I would not say any more, serious.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Now I see, so you are saying that one swearing foul at another member of certs forum is an expression of that persons opinion regardless whether is called for or not? I stand to be corrected because that was definitely not the impression I got when I read the cert forum rules.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  4. drum_dude

"any more"...there you go! Please continue!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Listen I don't know you and you don't know me either. I can swallow my pride as I don't know everything and act like I do because really I don't but am willing to learn. All am saying and want is that you do not swear at me, please and pretty please. Thanks.

6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

ENOUGH

You all know this is a friendly forum and you are all entitled to your opinions. Please guys keep personal attacks off the boards.

If this carries on then the infraction system will come into play and warnings given.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Calm down lads. Wasn’t exactly swearing was it though? You should hear the language in my office at work; it’s kinda like the IT version of the F word. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. drum_dude

read AJs post and decided to stop!

9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Sparky, I understand this that there are people who use the f this and f that but not at me because I don't use it at others. I noticed recently on the CF that there have been degrading comments that are totally uncalled for. To be honest if this carries on then I know what to do. Thanks anyway.

10. Sparky

have a beer and chill :slidedrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  11. Sparky

Fair enough mate, just think many of us don’t want new peeps to be sucked into going for the CCNA to get that first IT job. It just doesn’t work that way, I wish it did but it doesn’t. I’ve seen it myself for years and guys who have way more IT experience than me say exactly the same thing.

If you look at the links in ciscopauls sig then it might explain his posts. 8)

12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Man

I really do hate these threads

Whilst I'm inclined not to agree with Ciscopaul out of principle (half of what he said is utter excrement and a testament to the poor standard of training IT professionals can expect in this day and age) the first part is true! you can study for a CCNA with no experience, you can pass the CCNA with no experience, and you can get a job from it

That's the simple fact, is it guaranteed? hell no, is it easy? of course not, but take it from someone who did it (when I started my Cisco training I had never really used a piece of Cisco kit, but had been working with networks for a while)

the CCNA is an entry point, a point far higher than a Net+, and a CCNA can land you a job.
    With zip experience and nothing else on your CV you will be relying on luck not any technical ability, but the fact is there are still people hiring based on certs, and you could get lucky

Can we stop all this total BS about 'you should do A+, you should do this' let people do whatever the hell they want, if they get stuck, then try the easier route, who gave me the right to trample all over your dreams with a heavy dose of reality?

You got the time to kill? go for it, the worst that could happen is you learn something, and isn't that why we are all here?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Phoenix,

Your situation, as you described it, is not one of zero experience in IT. You had worked in networking and IT before you got your cert. There's a big difference between that and somebody trying to get into the IT field for the very first time.

Can it happen for someone? I suppose so, but the odds are not good. It might happen for maybe 1 out of 100 that way, but would most people rather hear that they have maybe a 1% chance of having a cert work for them or the truth about how much good that cert will really do? If it was me, I'd want the truth. I wish someone had told me that in 2002 instead of filling me full of crap about how certifications would get my foot in the door.

If I had known the truth I would have gone about my entire training process differently. I would have gone for a two year degree and then started looking for internships or something like that. Instead I spent a long time in pursuit of a ghost because once I had gotten started I'm not someone to back out without finishing what I start.

I don't think anyone here wants their dreams dashed, but I don't think anyone wants to be fed a raft of crap that lines up with their dreams just so they can be talked into spending money fruitlessly either.

I'd say people would be much further ahead by finding themselves an internship and working their way into the field. That way while they're studying they can be getting real world experience. And, if they're lucky and work hard that prospective employer just might spring for certs or further education if they like the internee. No matter how the internship turns out the person at least has experience to point to, and that's more important than certs.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Freddy, yep it COULD BE DONE but it is not advisable for someone with zero xp to get a cert like CCNA without working in networking or using CISCO kit.

You wouldn't allow someone who can score perfectly on Microsoft Flight simulator fly a jumbo jet, so why would an employer allow someone who has zip xp but has CCNA cert loose on their network.

Experience is what counts, people starting out or trying to start out should start with entry level certs like A+ and N+ and if its networking you want the perhaps the CISCO entry level certs after the N+

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

I agree, getting a CCNA will not mean you get a job, but its not exactly a bad thing to go for now is it? You will learn a lot about networking from Cisco's point of view. And lets be honest, the first 2 semesters are not really that hard. I'm not saying they are easy, but their not hard enough for someone without any work experience to get to grips with.

Semester 3 and 4 are a different story, but if your interested in networking and want to learn a great deal about how everything works from the network layer down, I would say go for it. If you want to get the cert JUST for getting a job, then don't bother.

WIP: LIFE
  16. Arron

Arron Bit Poster

This thread has been an interesting read as I started studying for the CCNA without work experience. I finished uni in the summer and since then I wanted to further my knowledge. I chose to study for a CCNA because I was not exposed to any routers or switches during my degree (just all theory basically). I purchased some cisco kit to use at home, study material and a bootcamp weekend so I could improve my practical skills.

During this time I have searched for my first IT job with no experience and I have been lucky to find one (start in Jan next year). Its an entry-level position so I can gain some invaluable work experience. I dont feel I have wasted my time or money studying for the CCNA as I have learned loads about networking and the CISCO IOS. I feel this knowledge that I have learned will help me progress in IT after I have gained work experience (along with passing the CCNA cert).

So to answer the question "study for CCNA without work experience??" I say yes you can. As others have mentioned, if you find it difficult then learn the basics or look at other cert material such as A+ or N+.

Good luck to you whatever you decide to study :thumbleft

Certifications: BSc Network Management & Security
    WIP: CCNA
  17. GW

GW Byte Poster

From my experience many companies I have worked for or interviewed for require certifications like CCNA before they will allow you a job that will call on the knowledge, they will train you but they want you to have the certification already as a "minimal requirement" so you know the basics.

I look at certifications as a way to get your foot in the door for an interview, I don't have my MCSE yet but I've been in the IT industry for over 10 years now and without an MCSE or CCNA certification there are jobs that are just not open for me even though I have all of the experience to do the job.

Recently I went to a temp agency to check out some options and when they looked over my resume and noticed that I didn't have MCSE yet the first jobs they brought out was helpdesk positions, I've worked one helpdesk job in my life and I would rather flay the skin off my body myself before I work another helpdesk job, it wasn't till after they ran me through their custom testing software that they started offering system admin jobs.

In my experience, its hard getting a position where you will gain the experience required for the certifications.

GW

Certifications: MCP x4, CompTia x3
    WIP: Cisco CCNA
  18. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I'm with you, Phoenix. The point is learning, and really....what's the purpose of A+ in the Cisco world? Most network guys I know are either hardware geeks by hobby, or they have no earthly clue what goes on inside a computer. If you have a passion for networking, and really invest into the learning experience fully (not just trying to pass an exam), then I say Go For It.

However, I definitely wouldn't offend the entire community about getting a cert without experience. The point they make is very real and valid, so keep that in mind whilst you study. Make your time count, and expand your boundaries!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  19. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome back Fortch 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

How long will this guy be allowed to promote his "Get the CCNA without experience, and by the way, here's my site" agenda? :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!