Study Advice

Discussion in 'A+' started by Rosie1, Dec 11, 2006.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I wrote practice exams for Transcender for many years, and am currently starting a competing company offering IT practice exams. Prep test companies are all over the board with respect to quality. Typically, you get what you pay for; the more expensive ones are usually (but not always) better quality. Some practice exams have information that is flat-out incorrect, so be advised that studying low-quality material CAN negatively affect your studies.

Also, understand that practice exam companies have a hard time covering *everything* that *might* be thrown at you on an exam. After all, the live exam question pools are HUGE in some cases. However, a good exam simulator will attempt to simulate the same sort of questions that you might see on the exam. That being said, a good exam simulator will NOT give you the exact same questions as you'll see on the exam (otherwise, that would be the same as using braindumps, which is cheating).

Personally, I'd stick with the products that provide good, solid explanations. If they get MORE in-depth than the exam, then good... at worst, you will know MORE than it takes to pass the exam. And that's a good thing - after all, are you studying just to get a few letters behind your name, or are you studying to be a good tech?

Best of luck to you! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Many thx for the response. I note your comments with great interest. To be honest, I'm not really into letters after my name. I got into computers initially through fascination which grew to a want of knowledge. I had no intention of taking the exam but am eager to test what I have absorbed and to put all that I have learned to good use.

I am very keen to receive as much 'explanation' as possible. However, for one that has come in 'cold' it feels more beneficial at this stage to take one step at a time as there is so much to take in.

I noticed a big difference from using my earlier prep tests and then progressing to Transcender, realising there was more work to be done on my part. I appreciate that this area is so huge and that it is difficult to cover everything. It does people good to spread their studies after all. It is so easy to answer questions habitually, as mentioned previously.

Good luck with your prep question aims and thx again for the advice

Regards

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you're testing to test your skills and knowledge that you've acquired, then you're in it for the right reasons, in my opinion. Sounds like you've got your head on straight.

Always keep in mind that you should save doing your practice exams until you're finished with your studies. We advise this because a practice exam can only gauge your progress the first time you take an exam with all unique questions. The previous posters are correct about subconsciously memorizing practice question answers. The second time through an exam you've already taken, you will have already seen (and read through and answered) all of the questions already. Thus, even if you pass the 2nd time through, it will not be an accurate gauge of your progress since the live exam will definitely be questions you haven't seen before.

This is what I do - study completely, then take Exam A (most good practice exam products give you three unique exams, or enough questions to make three exams). After the test, I find out the sections where I'm weak, then take Exam B. I again study my weak sections... and ONLY when I think I'm truly ready for the real thing will I take the last exam, Exam C. If you're able to pass Exam C on a high-quality exam that (hopefully) matches the level of difficulty you'll find on the real thing, then you should be ready.

Remember that no book, study guide, CBT or practice exam will hit on EVERY single thing that could possibly be thrown at you in the live exam. I've yet to see a "perfect" study tool. However, the good ones are able to help you be able to logically eliminate incorrect choices so that you have a good chance at answering correctly, and should be good enough to help you to pass.

Again, I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that this post is helpful to your studies.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Rosie1

Rosie1 Byte Poster

Hi,

Thx so much. Your advice has been extremely valuable to me as I have found it most difficult to gauge 'next step' study regimes to improve on what I have already learnt. Thankfully, I have noticed a difference in achievement so I must be doing something right. However, I will follow your advice as it all makes perfect sense to me.

After reading my A+ 'tome' 4/5 times and using various prep tests culminating with Transcender and MeasureUp, I have gone ahead and purchased MM Passport and Trip's book to keep my studies fresh. I appear to be to working through my scenarios logically without second thought and through this made sense of which direction to proceed.

It is wonderful to have somewhere like the forum to turn to, and the support and kindess of those who have experienced the same or going through this process.

Again, good luck in your endeavours and I would be interested to see the end product.

Kind regards from a very grateful

Rosie

Certifications: A+, CIW foundation
    WIP: CIW Site Designer