Stub Zone Update

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by Ally, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Can someone explain the differences and when to use each of the following please regarding stub zone updates ?

Reload - Reloads from local storage of DNS server

Transfer from master - Determines whether serial number in stub zones SOA has expired

Reload from master - Performs a zone transfer from stub zones master regardless of the serial number in the stub zones SOA Resource record

All seems the same to me. Thanks :biggrin

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I haven't studied Server 2003 much and DNS stub zones didn't exist before so can't give a good answer. Just a bump so your question can easily be seen by the others.

Having said that, the answer to your question seems to be in your question. Perhaps you could try rephrasing it slightly?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sorry Ally,

After googling and looking through some texts I can't find an answer to your question.

It seems that of the different texts I have, even the MS Press one stub zones aren't covered very much at all.

All I can really tell you is what you probably already know, that a stub zone basically acts as a forwarder.

:(

4. Ally

Ally Byte Poster

Wel thanks for trying!! i could not find a clear answer either, the definitions i gave are what are given in the MS Press book. Il try asking my instructor next week when im back. Thanks :)

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 & 70-294
    WIP: 70-293