Struggling to find an IT job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Come_On_You_Irons, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

Good stuff! :afro

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  2. Come_On_You_Irons

Come_On_You_Irons Bit Poster

Cheers lads:D

yeah twizzle, its the asp service desk

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. Come_On_You_Irons

Come_On_You_Irons Bit Poster

yeah sorry boycey, I did get this through an agency. Not sure if its quite what I was looking for but may look good on CV.

Certifications: A+, Network+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Cool! good luck in the role, i know it can get quite busy there.

I worked with Anthony and Barry there back in July for a month or so. All i did was thier PC audit for the doctors surgeries and updates to AV. They guys were good and friendly but for me it was a long drive (i live in Thetford so it took an hour on average! tho when the A14 was closed it took me 4 hours one day!!!)

At least its a start and you'll definatley learn something in that role!

The agency wasnt MAX20 was it??

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  5. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

I work for fujitsu services in Stevenage, they only recruit through Adecco (as far as I am aware), you have to do a basic tech vet and pay starts at about £6.50 - £7 an hour for 1st line and then 14.5k if taken on permanent. Not the best pay in the world but a start none the less. It isnt too far from Cambridgeshire (depending which part of course)

I would suggest giving a few recruitment agencies a ring as a lot of companies take on staff this way as their is then only a max weeks commitment required from both parties. Short term is a bit crappy but it gives experience and training and access to corporate IT which is a lot different to playing with a home lab lol.

just noticed you got a start lol, will teach me to read the whole thread

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all,

I work for the old bill in service desk trying to keep their systems up and running (6000+ users 200+ different apps, etc etc), very similar to plate spinning. before I did this (i've been here about a year now) I was a computer engineer which was ok but I didnt like the cut of the company, and I saw work starting to trail off so I jumped ship. Have really enjoyed my year here but now starting to get itchy feet, shift work and an hour drive to work is greasing my decision to move on. Just wondering they keep mentioning drives and personal progression but of course nothing ever happens, is it the same in the private sector. Im sure there was another point to this post but i've trailed off a bit never mind!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

every job/company I have worked for advertises 'career advancement/training' etc etc but in all honesty not many deliver on that claim. Unless they are taking on extra software commitments or the job spec changes then there is often no need for extra training and by offering this they would encourage most staff to jump ship elsewhere for more money.

When I worked in private healthcare sector most training was company specific and when you went elsewhere it was totally irrelevent and useless :(

once you get further up the ladder then they are willing to invest more but at the bottom the onus is more on the employee to better themselves

altho I may be wrong in some cases I am generalising from experience

WIP: N+ & CCNA