Strata Green IT - Practice Exam?

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by invierno, Jun 30, 2010.

1. invierno

invierno Nibble Poster

Hello all!

I'm going to give the CompTIA Strata Green IT exam a whirl next week and I was wondering if any one knows of good, legal practice tests for it (or any online review sheets). Thanks!

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: Java, Linux
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Personally, if I were to receive a resume with that certification listed, I'd trash it. Last thing I need is a tech who actually buys into all the man-made global warming nonsense.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

lol well said :)

Is this a certification that requires you to grow your own cat 6a cables making them out of organic potatoes or something?:D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Boson, not like you to be cynical :biggrin

Save the planet, switch off your computer NOW!!!! and watch T.V instead

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  5. invierno

invierno Nibble Poster

haha that's funny guys! Actually, I don't buy the "anthropogenic climate change" garbage either (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategate-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/) but (as an aspiring engineer) I DO see the benefits in energy efficiency and virtualization. Additionally, I'm in DC, where being green is a big selling point among the East Coast Sophisticates (you know, all those people who know how to spend our money better than we do?), so I think it's worth it.

6. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt, FUD. yeap tell the world that we are either going roast or freeze if we don't go and buy the latest gizmo. It is a huge selling point for a lot of companies and frankly when you have two products which are more or less the same if the only difference is one will go towards saving a frog or tree it does make that difference, now people start buying through emotion.

Dunno if getting a cert will benefit much, has there been demand for people with this cert???

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  7. invierno

invierno Nibble Poster

We can debate the FUD qualities (and yes I think there's merit to concerns about that), but the fact remains too that energy efficiency = economic benefits for organizations too. I don't think there's anything wrong with not wanting to be wasteful, especially if it saves money!

Back to my original question: any practice tests? :)

8. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

As a Manager, that is something that I have to consider. The less I have to pay out on X, the more I can spend on Y :)

Here's a review of a book with practice questions, hope that helps :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  9. BosonMichael

I'm not cynical at all. In fact, I'm quite optimistic that "global warming" isn't gonna cause the "end of the world as we know it", like some green freaks would have you believe.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  10. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Might not be the end of the world yet but it will mean a poorer more densely populated world.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  11. BosonMichael

It may be "energy efficient", but don't kid yourself: it's not cheap. In truth, "green IT" tends to be much more expensive to implement, and most companies aren't gonna want to implement something that costs more money than the energy they're saving.

Sure, you can put your computer to sleep. But sleep mode and hibernate mode haven't worked well in Windows - any admin worth his/her salt knows this. That can lead to lost data and/or lost productivity.

Here's an energy-saving solution for you: if you're not using your computer, shut it off. But then there's the productivity cost involved with waiting for a computer to boot, and the hardware cost involved with the changing state of the components (far better on a computer's lifespan to leave a hot system hot than to let it cool and heat up and cool and heat up repeatedly). Just sayin'... it's not as cut-and-dried as you might think it is. The money savings are debatable.

Not being wasteful is great. If you want to put your monitors to sleep (which works fantastically, I must say), by all means, knock yourself out. But do we need a *certification* for it? :rolleyes:

There's probably not much out there for it. It's not a very popular certification, so publishers and practice exam providers would lose money by creating products for it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  12. BosonMichael

It does not surprise me in the least that you believe in man-made global warming. :rolleyes:

13. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Some one has being watching a bit to much Fox News.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  14. invierno

invierno Nibble Poster

@Ken

Thanks Ken! I appreciate you.

@BosonMichael

While I don't think you need to be certified to turn monitors off, there's a lot more that goes into efficiency than just simple things like that (though they are important too). For example, I'm doing engineering research that will examine reducing the leak voltages from the transistors used in memory technologies - and we're talking about reducing voltages on the scale of <4V. That might not sound like a lot, but in the aggregate (how many transistors are in your computer?), that's a LOT!

I'm investigating VMware for our company (hence my interest in VCP) and we've concluded that savings upwards of $5M (US) will be had in the next 5 years (yes that includes the initial investment). That's seems to justify to me that "green" technologies like virtualization are worth it.

Additionally, as far as job market goes, take a look at the link:

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=green+IT&l=20037

That's a DC area code. It seems to me that showing some level of proficiency in this would be beneficial.

And no, I haven't seen "An Inconvenient Truth;" I don't think it's in my Netflix list either ;)

15. greenbrucelee

Someones believing the men who get rich out making us poorer. & watching too much of that crap film with Dennis Quaid.

Have you ever seen a inconvenient truth by Al Gore? what a load of ****.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7037671.stm

The world was hotter in the 70s than it is now

16. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It depends how you look at it and what you class as "Going Green".

We've virtualised our servers (bar two). While it was a hugh up front cost, we made it out that we'd break even after year 3 and start to make the savings in year 4 - this is based on energy costs, licensing, current rolling replacement program for servers, etc...

As for PC's, we've started to use 80 Plus PSU's and more enegry efficient chips/components. This has turned out to be cheaper than "standard" PC's of similar specs, plus reduced costs in energy.

For projectors, moving away from the standard projector (that uses bulbs, average life of 3000 hrs) to the newer LED projectors with a 20k hrs life span. They are almost double the cost of the standard projector, but we start to make the savings after 9000 hrs.

That's right, apart from the PC's. There's a big upfront cost to all of these, so the decisions has to be made at somepoint:

How much can you spend now Vs How much you can save later and
    What do you want to implement...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  17. invierno

invierno Nibble Poster

18. greenbrucelee

19. invierno

invierno Nibble Poster

Thought you'd appreciate that Bruce :D

20. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

That’s all well and good but why is it getting warmer? Or is that a debate for another thread :D.

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)