Strange XP shutdown problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by michael78, Oct 6, 2005.

1. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Hope someone can shine some light on this problem. Two of our users XP PC's won't shutdown. When they click start and shutdown then click to shutdown the PC it just goes back to the desktop like nothing has happend and the PC is usable. All software is closed down and nothing is running out of the ordinary. I'm a bit stumped as I've never come across this so any help is welcomed...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

check Task Manager for any processes that may still be running...this has happened to me before...and I check Task Manager and close down some processes not belonging to the system...failing that just turn off via Power button start the machine up again and then try shutting down again....works for me. so hope it does for u mate...but am sure the guys will tell u more...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

im with noel on this because i had the same problem but mine turned out to be a wee bit of spyware running.

not saying it was the spyware that caused the problem just that task manager didn't think it was ready to finish or something like that

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Cheers guys for the info I now have an idea of what it is...:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  5. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Agreed, probably an active process. Can you restart?
    Try start-run-cmd and typing 'shutdown -s' at the prompt.
    If that dont work, switch off your computer and enter safemode, see if you can shutdown from there.

If so, run a full virus / malware scan.
    Recently installed devices could also cause problems.

Neall

WIP: A+
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Good to see you back Slypie. Can't add to what they said, just wanted to say hello :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I was basically going to suggest the same as Neall, except to add that if this does cure the prob, then you can create a desktop shortcut pointing to shutdown.exe, and give it the little "power off icon". Then stick this in your quick launch items, and you have an instant power switch.

btw, you don't have to go to the command prompt - the shutdown command works at the run line.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity