[Strange] PC Repair Shop Setup [Question]

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Revolate, Feb 22, 2010.

1. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

It's good that you have a singular focus on making this work. That kind of passion and dedication is needed to be successful. Just make sure you can maintain it for the long haul. I know you may feel that some people are being pessimistic, but they speak from experience, both first and third hand. I can't tell if any of the warnings have been taken into considerations...but if you haven't, I strongly suggest you do. Do what you feel you need to do, but a lot of the criticisms given are good points that you should have a plan in place to deal with or mitigate. Also, understand that a lot of the ideas and stuff you've said have been repeated by countless other people; hence, why people may be jaded and skeptical of situations like yours.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

So what's in it for him, if you don't mind me asking?

He may be prepared to write off his investment without breaking your kneecaps if it fails, but what does he get if you succeed?

I was assuming this was some kind of government enterprise thing where they just pi55 money up against the wall to make it look like they're supporting local industry.

He's not a drug dealer looking to launder some cash, is he? :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Naw i've helped him out numerous times and my Mum has through various stages of his life (to many) my Mum is very close to him, he had a bad up bringing and we've always been there to support him during bad times, and hes made something of himself now and is very successful, it's just a good will jesture he has kindly offered, I think he's just saying that so i won't feel as bad if it does. But i've also looked at other grants from the princes trust if needed too. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

I think I've learnt more about your upbringing and life than I have of your intended business.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

He's not rattling your old dear on the sly and funding you because he feels guilty is he mate?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  6. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Nope, but anyways everyones going majorly offtopic all of a sudden, like the OP said, he knows more about my upbringing then the business. :eek:

Mods feel free to delete/lock as i've got everything i need, thanks all. :D

7. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Everything you need? By your responses it looks like you didn't take anything at all away from this whole thread. Looks like you wanted Yes Men and got Experience grumpy bastards haha. :D

Good luck.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  8. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

I forgot you had super powers that can judge people by a response, my bad. :ohmy

Experience from "grumpy bastards" if I thought like that I would consider myself an idiot, period. Older the wiser, right? how can you learn or take things on board if everyone says 'yes' life would be to easy? You need to be able to take other peoples constructive criticism/advice and experiences to learn from there mistakes or gains. Which is exactly what i'm doing. But I forgot, you have these super powers, right? :ohmy

When people research they don't just use one source of information, it's better to do several lots which i've done, and will keep on doing for various other things. I've done alot of other things than post one thing on a forum. :D

9. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

It's not that I have super powers; It is just that over the course of this thread your posts have indicated that nothing has actually changed. It doesn't take a rocket scientists to work out that when someone asks about question A, get's a dozen responses and still says "So I am sticking with question A". Then get's a dozen more and his next response says "So I've got a plan for A" ... You get the point. It doesn't take a genius to put what you have said and match them to your initial post to work out nothing actually came out of this thread.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  10. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Okay now this is my best advice i can give you.

They are two main reasons to start a business in your situation:
    1. To actually make money
    2. To gain experience so you can get a good job

Either way they is lots of work, it will be like doing 2 full time jobs.

If you decide to do it anyway just make sure your business does as much as possible, have an online shop and a website, sell different products, advertise, train people. This way if the business does not make any money you can at least put all of this stuff on a CV.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  11. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Mate, I was at work and suddenly remembered that I must ask you this;

You say that you do not want to do support as it is boring, instead you want to do this business venture at the age of 17, well, good on you but, have you thought about if it goes wrong? You say you're not too worried if it fails, all you want is to get the experience but yet again, what are you going to put on a CV if it fails? This whole experience if successful, hey man, great but if unsuccessful it can turn against you. What will you tell a potential employer if you mentioned or if he finds out that you had a business that went bust? See what I mean?

Another thing here. Just to check on your experience. A customer comes in and wants a new graphics card to play the latest game in his already top spec ish pc. He's got a free 16X PCI-E slot ready for it. Hi's power supply is a 300watt one.
    You buy the graphic card and have it fitted and charged the customer. Customer then leaves shop and he's happy. Later he comes back as his pc keeps either shutting down or rebooting, not only when playing or trying to play games but in normal use as well. What do you think the problem is? In your opinion? Remember this customer is no longer happy due to the fact that he came back.

Take care and once again, I honestly hope you succeed where many others have failed. There is nothing wrong in wanting to do well in life.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  12. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Bah i did an essay replying but i'll shorten it, 300watts is to low, an upgrade would be needed for the problems you are discribeing, to keep him happy i would say purchase a PSU and i'll fit it for free asap (of course i would guide him on this) it also depends if he wants sli/crosshair (have to be the same type of card too) and if his mobo can support it, he should also have suffiencient cooling as most gamers like to overclock. But as you said he had a high specish pc, so I guess these won't be counted for. I would also probley benchmark it too, stress test it, incase anything was wrong. Prime95/coretemp etc.

I know you can get connectors for them too.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  13. albertc30

Not bad mate. Allot of people, mainly end users, do not know that a high end graphics card needs some juice to work properly.

Take care.

14. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

It's Crossfire...but anyway, the only problem I see with your answer is "fit it for free", never do work for free unless there is a special reason for doing so. When you do open up a physical store you will see that you can't afford to do any work for free.

15. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Yeah I meant that, i was adjusting my crosshair on CSS CL_crosshair 9000 :dry, my bad. But yeah, half price fitting or so but that was just a scenario.

16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

OK, just a thought.
    Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, a PC repair business is more likely to fail than to succeed in this economic climate.
    That's not a reflection on you personally, it's the way things are.
    If this guy owes you, and is prepared to give you a heap of cash, why not put it towards a college or university course, or put it in trust until you've got a bit of milage under your belt and the economy has settled down (or imploded and we're all fighting over petrol with baseball bats).

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  17. albertc30

In a real life scenario, if such thing like this happens, you would look like an a*** for not advising the customer in the first place. That said, if customer was advised then I would definitely charge as the advise was given to upgrade the power supply, if not, like I have said, you could end up looking like an idiot and scaring customers off. If one neglects such a potential problem then one most probably would fit a PSU for FREE sadly. Loose a bit here but maybe get the customers attention that you are keen on making any amends when needed and taking responsibility for it. This is how we learn.

18. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

I think that's nitpicking the response a bit. I think the scenario you gave was if the customer left and came back with this problem. I think we are all just jumping on him a bit too much and it's understandable because of the perceived lack of interest in the things we are telling him. I don't doubt that he has at least basic troubleshooting skills to be a tech. The things to criticize would be more on his lack of business plan or lack of providing us a proposed business plan that we could constructively criticize.