Strange File Server Problem

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zimbo, Jun 13, 2006.

1. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

that quote only deals with discs that are attached to a mac. it has nothing to do with networking.

2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I have to say that we have MACs on our network and they write quite happily to our W2K/2003K servers and they have NTFS drives. The Macs are a mixture of OS 6 & 7 and 10.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so then something must be wrong then? :blink i mean the MAC could see nothing or the NTFS parition?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

let's assume you were right all along, then what you said just now still wouldn't make sense. you said that the mac were ntfs-read, so they should have been able to at least see something on the ntfs partition. right?

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

A few networks I support have Windows 2000\2003 domains with various Mac clients. No problems in regard to file systems on the servers which are all NTFS. The only big problem I’ve encountered is internal domains being named as .local.

Zimbo, how have you tested the NTFS and FAT32 partitions? Are they separate drives? In different servers? Perhaps something has been overlooked in regard to the NTFS partition which is causing the problem. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Funny you should say that Sparky, we've had that issue as well. I can't remember how we got around that, but when I get back tomorrow, I'll ask and post here so that it's documented.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That would be cool, the last time I saw the problem it was on a Small Business Server. After spending half the day on Technet and Googling it appears that you cannot change the internal domain in SBS. The server was eventually migrated to a new server with .office as the internal domain. Luckily enough the original server was on its last legs so we could get it pushed through relatively quickly. 8)

It would be good to know if there is a fix though, can’t be rebuilding servers every time somebody wants a Mac on the domain! :biggrin

Link to SBS domain problem:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sbs/2003/plan/gsg/chptr3a.mspx

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I presume this is when the disk is directly mounted. Not true otherwise.
    Yes you can - it is just a limitation of the drive manager in Win2k/XP. Use a 3rd party system and you can have much more.
    Again - this assumes a direct connection - not true via a network.
    Please - are you trying to connect physical directly? Or via a network - it makes a *major* difference!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Not if this is via a network - this changes all the rules.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Ken said it all in post number 8

You need *Services for Macintosh* installed on a Windows server and bobs your uncle.

From Ken's first link..

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Wow! What a thread! Loads of great information in here! :biggrin

12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so the MAC should be able to to use the NTFS parition to write to if all the protocols are installed?

13. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

yes, but you need to see it from the right perspective. to the mac it is not an ntfs partition. to the mac it's a network share. only the server knows it's an ntfs partition, and only for the server is this a relevant detail.

14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

no i understand that totally d but im trying to think what went wrong yesterday and the MAC didnt see the share. ill soon find out! :biggrin

15. slyuen

slyuen Byte Poster

You set-up is very similar to the one in my old school - Mac clients and win2000 servers, worked seamlessly no pain at all

have you actually shared it? are they really networked - ping test...etc...?

I'm not sure if this is part of your problem, but it may have to do with permission settings........ntfs and share permissions - I remember I had to add everyone read/write to the ntfs permission so that it allows access via the network......these permissions are accumulated in a way that the most restrictive one wins....so need to check that as well

FYI I have a fat32 hard drive formatted to support 200GB so the 32GB limitation was and will never be a problem.

as a lot of people have pointed out, it's protocol that needs to be checked and not file systems - the same way you can connect to a linux/mac website server or ftp server with your old windows clients.... as long as you can connect, it rocks

Good luck, it will work, just keep trying.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,Network+,CST,CNST,MCDST,MCSA
    WIP: MCSE, CIW, CCNA, CWNA, Others...