Strange CD Rom Drive acctivity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nelix, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Hi All,

Have'nt been around for a while but now that i am here's one for you.

got a machine at work, the CD-Rom drive had stopped ejecting the cd's, (by The Menu option of by the button) so of i Trotted to the server room for a replacement, fitted the new drive and it will read some discs fine, but when i put a cd into it that is formatted for drag and drop it will read it but will not eject it.

Any clues anyone??????????

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Ok...I'm guessing, but here goes. Since two different CD drives are acting wierd, check the cable from the IDE controller...may there's a fault in the cable. Also check the controller to see if a pin is bent. Sometimes the drive will still work with a bent pin but you'll get wierd behavior. When in doubt, uninstall and reinstall the drivers. You didn't say but I'm assuming that these devices are plug and play. Was the old one made by the same company as the new one? And lastly...make sure you're using a known good CD to read...one that you can read with no problem on another machine. That's where I'd start...just off the top of my head.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Again only a guess :idea: Does the PC have easy CD creator? maybe the drive is locked by that app :?:

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  4. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Funny you should mention that Si, but we tracked the problem down last night to CD creator, reinstalled Easy CD and all is fine.

Thanks for the tips guys

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Si does it again. Good job. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Thanks Trip, but I think Nelix did it without my help 8)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hmmm, :hhhmmm Thinking back to my ongoing series of CD-related catastrophes, I did have a CD-RW that went bad, constantly locking up the system. :scratch

Guess what software I was running :?: Yup, you got it - Easy CD Creator. :!: I uninstalled it, but never got round to retrying, as I reckoned the drive was goosed anyway :cry:

It's still in my main machine, so looks like that's tonights job. Thanks for the heads up as usual, Guys :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. Cartman

Cartman Byte Poster

Just to add my 2p worth - Easy CD was a pain in the butt for me too - kept locking the drive out with it's delightful 'drag and drop the files and I'll write the files in the background' modus operandi.

Got rid of it and use Nero now - much better. These apps that try to be too clever end up shooting emselfs in the foot.

Dave.