Storage (Networks) - Study Books

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by St. Even, Jun 14, 2010.

1. St. Even

St. Even Bit Poster

Hi all,

Recently I'm getting more and more exposure to Storage Networks. Although I know (all) the basic principles of SANs, I'm definitely not (yet) an expert.

But I must admit that I really like whole storage topic and would like to read/learn more about it in my spare time. For most topics it's very easy, you go to Amazon, type in your topic and "bang" you have hundreds of books to choose from. When I search for Storage Networks or SANs, I don't get a lot of results. And most books are really old (before 2003 and such).

Therefor my question. Can somebody recommend me a good Storage Networks/SAN book? Since I'm exposed to multiple storage vendor hardware I would prefer a "neutral" book. So basically one with only the principles and theories and not focussed on one specific vendor...

I'm not looking into getting certified (not just yet at least) I just want to make that grey mass work for a couple of hours in the evening.

The ones below caught my eye (mainly because they are fairly recent, 2009):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Storage-Networks-Explained-Application-InfiniBand/dp/0470741430/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_3
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Information-Storage-Management-Protecting-Technology/dp/0470294213/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276546099&sr=1-3

Any suggestions?

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hi - you've exposed a hole in the market. There aren't many SAN books at all, let alone decent ones. I think it;s because all vendors try and claim their SAN technology is vastly different from each other. The only two you might want to look at are the Dummies book (don't let the fact it's a Dummies title put you off, it's not that bad) and the O'Reilly one. Neither of them are brilliant, and have pretty much nothing on iSCSI SANs, but they're the best of a bad bunch

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. St. Even

St. Even Bit Poster

Hi zebulebu,

I've read some of the reviews on Amazon on the Dummy's book and they are confirming what you are saying, not the very best book but a good start. Since it only costs £10 I decided to buy it straight away.

But I'm still open for other suggestions because I'm sure there's heaps more to learn about Storage Networks than the Dummy's book has to offer!

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing