Storage advice please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flex22, Jun 11, 2004.

1. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I got a warning before while on my laptop.It said that my disk space was running low.
    I checked in disk management, and I have a mere 128MB's left.

Getting that down shouldn't be a problem.I'll uninstall a few games, docs, whatever, that's not needed.

My desktop also, is nearly full.

Been thinking recently about getting some kind of storage device, to keep the bulk stuff that I need to keep, and can access pretty easily when needed.

Once I've had a tidy up I'm sure I'll have a few gigs left, but it's always creeping up.

As I'm pretty clueless about hardware stuff, can anyone advice some kind of storage solution.

Oh, one last thing.I'm not sure if my desktop has room for another hd, will have to find out.Like I said, I'm not very good in this area.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Depends on how much space you need. Also, since you are using a laptop, you'll want something you can attach and unattach pretty easily. You can start out with USB stick drives. They're getting more beefy all the time.

If you need something more analogous to what a modern hard drive can hole, try Portable Hard Drives.

Since both types are USB, you can attach and detach them with extreme ease and still enjoy having a significant amount of storage space. Of course, you have to be willing to pay for it. It can get a bit spendy depending on what your budget is.

I'm not sure what you mean about not having enough room on your desktop for another drive. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, your desktop is just home to your wallpaper, shortcut icons, start button and systray. Blow away some or all of the shortcut icons. Won't hurt your programs a bit. Please let me know if I've fouled up again and miscontrued something that I should have understood. :oops:

Hope some of that helps, flex.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I meant the inside of the amchine, to actually put a hd in.Like, as in connectors and that.Sorry but I've really on read about this stuff, not done any installing or owt.

My idea at present is to attach an external device to my desktop.Then put the bulk of my stuff bit onto the desktop and the storage device, freeing my my laptop for important stuff, which is used reguarly.

When I need something fromt he storage device, onto the laptop, I can go from external storage device - desktop (which it is attached to) - through my switch to my laptop.

Anyway, just something I thought of at the minute.I hardly download masses of stuff, it's just that with this and that, it all adds up.

I'll readyour links, and let you know when I've had a think.It's not something absolutely vital at this moment, as like you say it's costly, but thought I'd see what's to consider beforehand.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

ooooooohhhhhhh...desktop as in the top of your desk. Well...time to go shopping. Let's see, there's some external hard drives at tigerdirect. Maxtor has a USB external drive that has a 300 GB capacity. Then there's this review of a usb external drive at overclockerclub.com. Hmmm. If you say you want an internal solution, I don't think I can find one. There's not a lot of extra space inside a laptop to add anything the way you can with a PC. I think your best bet is a usb or firewire external drive. Acts just like an internal drive. The computer doesn't know the difference. Honest.

5. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Er, hmm, sorry got lost for a min there as well.

Anyway.

Trip, the thing is, I don't want things attached to my laptop, tying it down, if possible.

I wasn't talking about putting a hd in my laptop, I was talking about putting a hd in my dekstop (PC).

That way my PC, external hd attached to the PC are all neat and tidy in the corner where I cna keep an eye on them.

My laptop is not for being tied down, makes it pointless.

Will check out all the links.Thanks a lot.

6. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

if your looking to increae your desktops capacity go for a western digital drive with 8mb cache, cant put enough good words in over those

you could upgrade your laptops hard drive, but it would be easier to get a usb one, you can also use that on the desktop, and mates machines, good for making backups of important files and such as trip mentioned

check out www.overclockers.co.uk for cheap uk drives
    and www.komplett.co.uk (might be komplette)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Erm, webspace ?

You got a half meg line there, Flex- you could easy buy some cheap space online, and fire all sorts of cr@p up there.

Just a thought :oops:

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Hmm, hadn't thought of that.Any companies that you knwo of? I've never looked into this before.

First feeling is that I wouldn't liek this, but then again, never say never.

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I understand you might be hesitant about online storage, Flex, as was I. But I get a humble 50 Mb space (free) from my ISP, and I find it great for throwing stuff on when I need to have it accessible from wherever.

Heck, I used to (well, still do) have Trip's mugshot up there, when his pic was on our Boards.

A simple ftp program will act as the mechanism between your PC and your webspace. I use WS_FTP, a free app that does what it says on the tin.

HTH :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I have fee web space, 50/100 MB, can't remember.I also use FTP Pro WS.

Thing is, I'm after like GB's worth of storage really, for the long term.I'm sure my next PC will have like 180 GB's or something, lol, but until then.

Afterall I need to BACKUP :!: LOL

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Boy, did I miss the boat on this one. I was so sure that I was reading everything correctly, too. I didn't think I was old enough for senility to have set in but you never know. :oops: Mea culpa, flex. Didn't even know you were talking about adding storage to a desktop PC. Easy as pie. Just throw in a second HDD as a slave and away you go. Guess it's already been covered, huh? Well, have a good weekend. Think I'll go off somewhere and have my head screwed on straight. :eek: :oops: :wink: