Starting out with no background in IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Smoop, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Smoop

Smoop New Member

Hi all,

I have just found this forum after being offered an interview with a company called Netcom. I was researching the company and found out on here that they post fake job listings in an attempt to convince people to sign up for training - so firstly I'd like to say thanks for the warning! I won't be going to the interview.

I thought I would ask about possibly starting out in IT in general. I have no professional experience in IT at all, no certifications, and my degree is in English Literature - probably not the best combination. I have a passion for IT (I built my own computer, often research topics that interest me in the area, provide tech support to family and friends etc.), but am I being naive in thinking I can break into IT with absolutely no professional/training background?

I would ideally like to get a helpdesk (or something similar) position where I could work my way up from the bottom and learn the industry. Would it be foolish to apply to such positions without certifications etc. first? I have seen that the CompTIA A+ certification is recommended to people starting out in IT - would it be best to pursue this first? Or am I completely on the wrong track? As you can probably tell I don't really know what I'm doing right now, but I'm very eager to learn.

Thanks for any help.

2. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Some Help Desk jobs dont even ask for experience or qualifications, ypu could just apply for them now. I am in the same boat as you tbh, I could apply for help desk jobs but would feel better if I had some sort of IT qualification to put on my cv. Comptia A+ seems good though I dont think its recognised to much with employers, only reason Im considering it is because I think the content is great and would like to learn it and gain knowledge. If you have knowledge of computers already apply for help desk jobs from now.

3. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

To echo what’s already been said, some IT Service Desk roles require no previous experience, they’re look for good communication skills and a willingness to learn. I have some experience with this as I was a Service Desk manager for FTSE 100 company. Often it’s difficult for Service Desk managers to keep and maintain staff for any length of time if they insist on recruiting technical candidates. I always recruited the most technical people I could get but this inevitable lead to a regular turnover of staff as they were promoted internally or moved out to more technical roles with other companies. A lot of Service Desk managers don't want to deal with this headache and prefer to try and maintain some level of staffing stability. As such they are more flexible in their recruitment policies.

If you can demonstrate good communication skills and a willingness to learn, both on your CV and in the interview then it’s just a matter of plugging away with the job applications and waiting for the right opportunity to come your way.

Start to bulk out your CV, take some entry level certifications and familiarise yourself with the technologies that are in widespread use. I’d also suggest you take some time to look at ITIL, even if you don’t sit the exam understanding the jargon and how today’s IT processes are ‘meant to be implemented’ will make you stand out and help you settle into any new role much quicker.

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Doesn't hurt to go to college and learn IT there if you're young, depends what you want to do.

5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

This
    I've found this to be my preferred method, I've really tried self-study and it isn't for me, I am currently on an online course which isn't to bad as there is a clear learning structure and I can call the course leader any time. I can't really study without a teacher who knows what he's talking about, thats just me everyone is different. possibly look into a course at your local college.. these days colleges are offering courses like A+ and MCSA etc.