Starting new/old job on Monday

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by wizard, Sep 28, 2007.

1. BrotherBill

BrotherBill Byte Poster

Best wishes Wiz.

No one can tell you how to live your life, just trying to help. But when you get this straightened out, take a look at this Dave Ramsey character. He's pretty sharp. They've got him on CBS over here, The Early Show I think it is, every two weeks. I listen to him on the radio almost every day from 11 to 2 here. All of his shows are archived on his website. It doesn't cost anything to look. If nothing else, his teachings might help you make sure you never have to worry about this again.

Good Luck

2. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

This post isn't meant as an attack on anyone who takes bankruptcy or is in financial difficulties but just my opinion on the whole issue of bankruptcy in general.... just wanted to clear that up first! :p:D

My honest personal opinion is that bankruptcy shouldn't be allowed. As far as I am concerned if you are reckless or even irresponsible enough to get yourself in trouble you need to step up to the plate and deal with it.

I know several people who have gone bankrupt or who have huge debt (over 25k) and although they have this debt they either have had or do have a good life. For example I’ve known people who've lived up life - going on fab holidays, driving sporty cars and going out drinking and for nice meals all the time. (While on 12K per year answering the phone for example!) Ok so they've gone bankrupt but hasn’t the law changed so that it is only difficult to get credit for the next 3 years? Rather than 6? So there appears to be even less consequence to it. So even though they have now lost these nice things they have all these life experiences - cars, holidays, nights out etc.

And where have i been while these people have been living it up? Working in IT full time (studying, training, working hard) and then spending my weekends working in nightclubs to earn extra £££'s so i can get by and remain debt free. And I still only have a few thousand in the bank to my name – nowhere near what I need for a decent house deposit.

The same goes for those people I know who haven’t yet gone bankrupt but owe many many thousands on credit cards – nice cars – nice holidays – going out all the time to festivals, weekend breaks etc. Me? Working…. Training…. Studying… working… maybe some sleep…. And working….

Ok so I’m only 26 but it feels like I’ve missed out on loads by not going to uni and not splashing out when I’m young and by working two jobs for 7 years.

Things have now started to fall in place for me. I’ve gone from around 22K (IT job) to around 39K (IT job) that’s not including the 4k extra I make at the weekends per year. But even now I recognize that for the next 18 months to two years I wont be buying a flashy car or going on amazing holidays – I’ll be saving to buy my own house and get on the market… so when I do have a family I can support them with a home etc etc.

I know eventually I’ll be better off by doing this now so I can have good life later on but it just bugs me to see all these people so carefree with money who say “I can always go bankrupt….” Or “ its ok when I’m old the government will pay make council tax”…. But you get my point.

Maybe I’m just bitter at today’s society for allowing people to deny responsibility or for paying people job seekers allowance and disability benefit to so many people who could probably be working.

Anyway before I get on my soap box that’s about it! Lol…. :oops::blink:D

As for Wizard – you do what you feel you have to do mate… but just make sure you learn from it and don’t get in debt again! Life's too short for the stress!!

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Ok it's done, not going to mention it anymore, apart from if you are interested in whats happening/going to happen then check out my blog, link is in my signature.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Glad its sorted mate:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house