Starting MCDST feb - Equipment i found

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by gsword, Jan 26, 2011.

1. gsword

gsword Bit Poster

Hey guys

just to let you know i have found an awesome shop on ebay for pc's at a very reassonable price just for mesing about with doing certs.

This is the machine im gonna buy next week for my mcdst practical training.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAST-STYLISH-...t=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2c5a65ab87

it will do for just testing and messing about on once it has xp pro which im just waiting on.

What do you reckon?

Also are there any really good online resources (apart from this site of course) that anyone knows about?

cheers in advance

Certifications: Bsc Hons Business Computing, Comptia A+
    WIP: N+, CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

have you not thought of downloading virtual pc which is free and then you can install the trial windows xp pro disk that comes with the MS press book?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. gsword

gsword Bit Poster

yea i have already got vmware workstation full edition on my main pc but i prefer working with real computers if you get what i mean.

I think it would be good to do it for real ie putting the cd in blah blah blah that way and not an ISO.

it mite just be me being picky. :blink

4. AlexHalliday

AlexHalliday Bit Poster

I think you're being picky :P Nah not really, I can see where you are coming from just about.

Personally, I'll be using vmware to go over the install quickly, and then sticking to Win7's XP Mode from thereout - much easier.

(Advantage of using VMware? There's some virtualisation experience for you! saying that may be pushing it a bit too far :p)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+
  5. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

I bought 3 RM all-in-one PC's for £25 each via ebay, great for lab work. Similar to this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RM-ALL-ONE-CELERON-2-4-GHZ-384-MB-RAM-/120671819644?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item1c1899d77c but the one's I purchased had 1GB of RAM.

6. gsword

gsword Bit Poster

good point about the xp mode in win 7. I have been running virtual machines now for a few years running a few online games i have to run multiple accounts lol so have a little bit of vmware experience installing and configuring them lol

ethernet0 - Thats a good idea with the all in ones actually will consider it as they are just going to be lab work.

cheers guys

7. karan1337

karan1337 Byte Poster

I will stick to Virtualization. Instead of buying a new PC, i would power up my current one with more RAM and maybe a better processor (if needed).

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, MCTS, Brainbench: XP and Vista [Master]
    WIP: Bachelors:Computer Science
  8. spectreman

spectreman New Member

nice link there and a tidy little system for the money...seems good!