starting IT job soon, but feel rusty :(

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by mallet, Jun 7, 2007.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Out of sheer luck I managed to get a Junior Desktop Support/2nd Line Support Technician/Rollout Engineer position.
    But I havent done some study for quite some time or project work, even though the guy over the phone said they train me, the job description says I needed the following:

'Role will entail setting up pcs, new email/Active Directory domain accounts, and possibly some help desk/service desk work. Experience working with Microsoft Windows 2000/XP and setting up email accounts with Microsoft Exchange/Outlook'

what would be the way to get back into these subjects without looking like a complete fool of myself?
    I got till monday morning to prepare myslef

Thanks in advance.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If the job is starting on Monday, just ease your way back in to things; what OS's have you got on your PC at home?

They won't expect you to be able to fly straight away; they'll ease you in to it. They shouldn't sit you at a desk, give you a headset and say: GO.

It's not as complex as it may initially seem. As long as the AD playing stays within the confines of setting up domain accounts and none of the more complex issues, that should be okay, and if you've done it before, it'll be like getting back in a swimming pool after ten years: you'll feel like you're sinking at first, but you'll stop sinking soon enough.

With the email accounts, have you got Outlook on your home PC? If so, get yourself a couple of Google accounts (I don't think you can get POP/IMAP details for Hotmail) and set them up to collect email in Outlook. That'll give you good practise of setting up.

With regards to setting up the PCs, what have you got at home, and what size corporation are you dealing with? The company I work for has just over 400 users; we do not do scratch building. We buy new systems and use Norton Ghost; everything is dealt with under Warranty.

Don't let yourself get intimidated - they've given you this job because you are capable. So walk in with your head up high, and don't trip over your shoe laces. Spend the weekend being relaxed, and browse around doing some *refreshing*.

More importantly, have fun. And let us know how you get on 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

By doing them in a real-world environment. If you don't know how to do it by now, there's really no way to cram for it. This isn't an exam... this is "real life".

That said, if they said they'd train you, then they'll train you. If I were you, I'd not stress over it. You got the job... just do the best you can. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the tip Arroryn I feel abit relaxed already :)

I am using Microsoft XP OS at the moment.

I think I might need to setup virtual PC on laptop again, it just eats up soo much space.
    I can only vaguely remember setting up active dir, and this my problem, I might need to go back to some notes.

I got outlook not enabled but setting up google accounts on them is a great idea.

At home I got my laptop xp OS, bros IMAC G5 and sister desktop xp. There all hook in via wirless done by me :D
    And I payed attention to wirless security too.
    The area I will be dealing with is with the Local NHS in my area I was told.

Awesome, thanks for the boost of confidence I let eveyone know how it goes :thumbleft

-Mallet

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Don't stress mallet.. even if you haven't got a clue how to do the things mentioned, none of them are rocket science and once shown and after a little practice, you will not have any problems performing those tasks.

Good luck! 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Don't worry too much, if they are expecting you to require training they wont mind training you :) As long as you are keen to learn.

I know how you feel though, by chance I have taken the IT managers job at my current employer, from monday everything is my responsibility!

I've just been studying alot and telling the directors where i'm up to with it. Just keep showing them the progress you have made when you start and they will be happy i'm sure.

Enjoy it :D I know i'm going to!:alc

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Just kick back, enjoy the weekend and enjoy the new job - they knew what your abilities were before you got the job, now you've got it and starting they know where you're at and they'll bring you up to speed with whatever details are specific to their business.

Have fun! and Congratulations

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

mallet you must have impressed to get the job in the 1st place.
    Chill out, do a bit of searching on google & download a copy of VMWare & instal Win2k pro & XP Pro.

I've done the same recently & if you make a mistake it's all done within a virtual machine!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  9. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Mallet, you'll do fine, bro. I'm finally transitioning into a full time IT career, and I'm somewhat in the same boat -- my job starts Monday. I'll just avoid being a know-it-all, help whomever I can, and I'm pretty sure I'll be comfy in a short while. It's the unknown that freaks ya out the most, ya know?

Good luck!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  10. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

Hi Mallet

Dont sweat it, I worked for the Nhs for quite a while contracting, doing exactly what you are going to do. The AD stuff was mostly resetting passwords and adding new users (piece of cake). Do yourself a favour and try getting your head around ghost or the on I use acronis true image, as you will be swapping a fair few pc's out. The most difficult thing you will be doing is setting up clinical software, Emis and Isoft but they both have terrific helplines and when you do it a few times are simple enough.

Most Nhs trusts have a central Exchange server although some practices have their own but its a piece of cake to set up outlook for them in any case.

Get used to drinking copious amounts of Tea though ;)

Steve.L

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  11. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

First off, Thank you all for the great comments.:thumbleft

well well, it was quite some day, it was mostly migrating users to the new accounts, involving outlook and the profiles.
    And yep, they did bring me up to speed why I am here to clear up the back long of tasks.
    It had some teething problems, mostly down to how bad win 2000 and xp were working :rolleyes:
    I was waiting for about half an hour for files to be transfered.

You guys were right, they woundt let a newbie like me on the loose without guidance, which they did and the work collegues/managers were great.

But the best bit was when I got my ID card it said : IT analyst :)

I was suprised how fast time flys on first day.

I never thought that wouldnt be true, but it is :D

-Mallet

12. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Haha, i know how that feels. Setting my email sig to "IT manager" was nice today, and also recieving industry newspapers addressed to that, instead of "Administrator"

Good stuff, glad its going well!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi Mallet,

Great to hear your first day went well! Hope you have a great time. Analyst sounds good, doesn't it? Just rolls off the tongue. Go on, say it - analysssssst :)

Good job :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Glad your enjoying it Mallet 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)